Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very rare opportunity to see a 65, 66 & 67 Mustang in the same shop at the same time. All Red with white stripes.

I have had a little carb issue with Red recently and couldn't resolve the cold start issue so I called upon my Carb guru which a couple local VMFers have used before. John told me to go ahead and bring it in. When I got there I pulled in behind a 66 fb red w/white stripes. It was sitting behind a 67 GT500 Shelby, yes red with white stripes. Somewhere in the pics you will even see John's business sign that has a 67 Shelby, yes red with white stripes.

Jeff Tepper and I were are the SF International auto show today and on our way home I called John to see how Red was doing. Said "come and get her, she's ready to go home". Jeff was nice enough to take me over to John's place so I could bring Red home. I think Jeff had a great time seeing the red with white stripe brigade. Very fun day.

Once you click on the following, there are I believe 9 more shots to check out. The 67 shelby was recently purchased for $115k and John is getting it ready to be shipped to Australia. The 66 was given to John from a Mercedes Dealership to fix for one of their customers.

And then here comes along Red.........John loved her.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
it would be nice to own all 3

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,
Yes, John is heading to AU. He figures maybe in 2+ months. But he needs to sell his house and we all know how tough that might be.

So if you need any work done.....ahem.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John felt it was the bleeders and told me to get some carb clearner and spray the bleeders. I did so, twice but never got anywhere. Once John got ahold of this, he saw the bleeders were still plugged up. He again shot them with carb cleaner and then blasted them with compressed air and Voila'.

Also he didn't like the rumble at idle and added some weight to the flexplate to smooth it out.

Then with me behind the wheel, he and I went out to drive the car the way he felt it should be driven. He felt that with an AOD, we were driving the car with it going into OD way too soon. I had already realized this before our visit but it was already too late. That's OK. We're now back in sync and loving it.

Besides Johnpro, if It hadn't worked out this way....how boring.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm confused. What are you guys calling bleeders, where are they located, and how are you spraying them with carb cleaner? Are we talking about the air bleeds, located below the throttle plate, and you're taking the carb off to try to clean them?

I'm also confused on the "adding weight" to the flex plate. Is he welding something onto it? How is he determining the amount of weight to add and where to add it? Wasn't your rotating assembly balanced when you had this engine built? If so, it's not any more, if he really added weight onto the flexplate, or they did a lousy job with the balance job. If the engine was balanced, they should have taken weight off of the counterbalances, rod caps, dampner and flexplate to bring the entire rotating assembly into perfect balance. Not all engines are balanced, though. You have to request it, at the time the engine is built.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Johnpro,
two small holes on top each side as soon as you lift off the air cleaner. Very possible I was carb spraying the wrong orifices. I agree the terminology may be wrong but I'm just passing the guy's description.

Flexplate weight-Balanced? Me? Hah!
Here's our highly sophisticated, blue printed, dyno'd engine the day I paid $400 for it. It came out of a wrecked 69 Stang.

Two years ago when I first got Red up and running, I have this vibration which was deemed as being the flexplate which was a 28oz unit. This mechanic, back then felt that for some reason our engine didn't like quite that much weight on the flexplate and got a 50oz plate, removed the weight, cut the weight in half to 25oz and welded it back on. We have driven the car that way with no problems.

While it was in these past 2 days, he noticed that upon light acceleration the car stumbled which I got use to for I normally take off with a firmer foot, but I knew what he was talking about. He said the idle was too roughed indicating not a carb but a balance issue. He said he simply added more weight to the 25oz weight block that he originally modified until the car idled smoother which resulted in the stumbling acceleration disappearing.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Well I can say without hesitation "Ya' don't see that everyday" Way cool.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smoke up my buttocks? With or without a bong? Do I get to pick which flavor? Sounds groovy baby.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts