Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were the A pillars simply painted or covered with something off the production line? Mine look not so good and need a refresh.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 65/66 pillars are just painted the same color as the dash with a little chrome trim piece up where the headliner ends.

The 67 has a vinyl pad covering the pillar held on by the same clips as the door panels and seat backs.

I think some 68s have the same pads as 67 and some don't depending on if they had any sitting around with the strikes and part shortages.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 65/66 pillars are just painted the same color as the dash with a little chrome trim piece up where the headliner ends.
In my '66, they are painted as Magnus describes , but the trim piece at the top is pained to match. I do not know which would be correct.
- Just checked online and found that NPD only lists one trim and it is listed as a '65-'66 fastback part.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
They should be lacquer painted the same color as the metal part of the dash/kick panels etc. The dash pad will be a darker color. The little metal clip at the top tucks under the windshield gasket and under the pinch-on windlace, and covers the edge of the headliner between.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
In my '66, they are painted as Magnus describes , but the trim piece at the top is pained to match. I do not know which would be correct.
- Just checked online and found that NPD only lists one trim and it is listed as a '65-'66 fastback part.
This is the trim you seek. Ford did not chrome plate them.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, what rattle can paint is suggested for a black interior, standard?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
NPD sells the Seymour Lacquer that is the correct black. I use different SEM primers, depending on the material I'm spraying.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
1964 1/2, 1965 and 1966 just had Painted "A" Pillars....

Somewhere in mid-1967, Ford went to "Padded" A-Pillars... but they only lasted a year....They were gone by Mid 1968... and I'm not 100% on this, but they may have only been installed in "Deluxe" interior cars....but others will chime in..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The 67 (and half of 68) pillar pads are standard. They're part of Ford's Lifeguard Safety package.

From a '68 sales brochure:

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
I know by Mid '68......Ford discontinued use of the Pillar Pads... (Most likely as Ford cost savings measure I'm guessing...)... Tony K.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
1964 1/2, 1965 and 1966 just had Painted "A" Pillars....

Somewhere in mid-1967, Ford went to "Padded" A-Pillars... but they only lasted a year....They were gone by Mid 1968... and I'm not 100% on this, but they may have only been installed in "Deluxe" interior cars....but others will chime in..

:eek:)

Tony K.
They were intended to be standard, but went away as stocks were depleted as a cost saving after the strike.

·
Registered
35,936 Posts
The black used on the painted metal surfaces is a charcoal and has a very fine metallic powder. You might want to try Ditzler/PPG #9295 which was the color used on the original color charts. A decent auto paint store should be able to fix you up with a pint to spray (or use a PreVal) or aerosol cans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts