• v8 driver that needs interior

Votes: 7 77.8%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Nick Kemerley US Army Vet from Indiana. My pops has a 57 bel air and I want to go to car shows with him. So last year we bought a 66 coupe I6. Fast forward a year of replacing sheet metal we found over an inch of bondo in some places oh and stuffing literal newspaper stuffed between the wheel tubs and rear quarters.

Anyway I entered Mustang giveaway for veterans. Somehow someway I won. They are offering a I6 roller with 4 lug but all new body panels and interior which I would convert to a 5 lug V8. Or a drivable V8 that needs stripped down, interior, disc brake conversion, and then repainted. Who knows what else until I get the car.

Guys which way should I go? My dad is the mechanic and I'm learning to fall in love with his hobby.

If I go with the 4 lug I know ill have to convert suspension, drive shaft, rear axle, engine and components.

Thanks in advance,
Nick Kemerley

Edited: adding pictures
White car is V8
Black Car is I6

Attachments

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
That depends, if the v8 is original it will always be worth more in the end than the I6(restored to original). My gut would say the v8 driver is the way to go unless you are doing a full build, then it would depend on the quality of the sheet metal replacement on the I6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That depends, if the v8 is original it will always be worth more in the end than the I6(restored to original). My gut would say the v8 driver is the way to go unless you are doing a full build, then it would depend on the quality of the sheet metal replacement on the I6
I planned to eventually fully rebuild the car. I just have been reading about replacing the suspension on the I6 to make it suitable for a v8 and it seems like ALOT. So I feel like the new sheet metal on the I6 would be a wash with all i have to replace suspension wise.

·
Dimples
6,318 Posts
I planned to eventually fully rebuild the car. I just have been reading about replacing the suspension on the I6 to make it suitable for a v8 and it seems like ALOT. So I feel like the new sheet metal on the I6 would be a wash with all i have to replace suspension wise.
I feel fairly confident that that is not the case. Hard to say without a thorough going-through on the body, but a suspension can be replaced in a lazy Saturday by yourself with a couple of beers. Body work takes FOREVER and requires quite a bit of finesse.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It really depends on the body of the V8. Rust repair is typically the most expensive and time consuming part of the build. Since you’ve already done the sheet metal work on the 6 I would probably go with that. Even if the 8 car looks like a good starting point it might be hiding all kinds of rust or bondo, as you found out with the 6. If the 8 requires no rust repair then I would go that route. Give the 8 a thorough inspection. As Blake said the mechanical aspects of upgrading the 6 are not so time consuming or costly compared to the sheet metal and body work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel fairly confident that that is not the case. Hard to say without a thorough going-through on the body, but a suspension can be replaced in a lazy Saturday by yourself with a couple of beers. Body work takes FOREVER and requires quite a bit of finesse.
So I get what you are saying. The V8 car is a California car and the shop has already replaced some of the rust issues. So I guess I'm trying to decide still.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Roller and don’t look back. Paint and body is ALWAYS more time consuming. And it’ll cost you more than you think.

The only personalization aspect of the body will be what color you want it, and maybe side scoops and hood change.

But the suspension and mechanicals will TOTALLY be an issue of preference. Don’t let the “running driver” tempt you. You may end up doing a ton of body work AND still swapping out the engine etc, etc.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I would definitely go with the black car as long as there are no underside/floor rust issues, as has been pointed out. Converting the suspension over to handle a V8 isn't terrible, and body work is pretty much already taken care of. You can build a nice V8 for it along with your choice of transmission, and go from there. Both definitely need some work, but with the roller, you have a lot less really expensive stuff to do.

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
1966 GT 4spd
1,359 Posts
I do like that the white one is a 4 speed already and a V8 but if the rust is bad...that changes everything.

Are both cars California cars? The white one has the blue and yellow plates(not the black and yellow) but still a set of plates that have not been used in a LONG time

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like that the white one is a 4 speed already and a V8 but if the rust is bad...that changes everything.

Are both cars California cars? The white one has the blue and yellow plates(not the black and yellow) but still a set of plates that have not been used in a LONG time

Chris
The guy that is doing the giveaway mainly said the white one is a California car. The black one he doesnt know much about as they just got it.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Unless the V8 needs a bunch of body work, I would go for the complete running car. Who knows what the roller is missing.

Drive the V8 and gain experience working on your current car.

The sixes are gaining popularity. You could put a 4 lug Maverick rear end in it and convert the front to 4 lug disc. That would save you a bunch of money over a 5 lug swap. Detail the engine bay and engine, and from there decide how much more effort and money you want to put in it.

Reactions: nickkemerley

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Also....
I'm in the midst of converting a 67 from a 200 to 289. It's not necessarily the expense, it cost about the same to restore a 200 car as it does a 289 car.

It's very time consuming, and requires a lot of reading if you have never done it before.

·
Registered
1965 Mustang Fastback 289-2V, 3-Speed M/T
239 Posts
Welcome to the VMF. I say, do both! What's better than one Mustang? Two Mustangs! Start with the one that will get you and your pops enjoying car shows together first (my vote). Thanks for your service!

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
118 Posts
I vote for building both. You could have a nice stock I6 for shows that has everything done to factory spec, and a fun V8 4 speed that you can customize and soup up the way you want to drive for fun and not worry about door dings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
:unsure: I didn’t know the OP started an “I won both” thread…

But in all seriousness, since you can only pick one, after looking a bit more closely at the pics, there's pros and cons to both. As others said, the white one is complete, although mark my words, complete still means just about everything with need to be replaced or refinished. However, it's all in one piece. That's a big bonus. But there's just something about starting with a good body. I'd find out what the black one is missing before making a decision. If its really just a shell (no gauges, wiring harness, brake lines, etc.) then the white one may appeal in that you'd take a million pics on disassembly and at least know where it goes when you put it back together.

·
Premium Member
7,837 Posts
If you can't get em both (won one and buy the other), let Dad pick. You guys can work together and always have those memories.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts