Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was generated by my previous post. A seller on ebay was listing a C-code convertible as a GT. I contacted him regarding the validity of his listing, and his response was that in 65 and 66 you could take your car to your Ford dealer and have it converted to a GT. I responded with the fact that this car was just a C-code with GT options added, but he still claims that this car is a "dealer converted" GT. Was this an option with the dealer, or is this the load of fecal matter that I think it is. Using this logic, a 65 fastback that had all the Shelby goodies added would be a GT350. So, was there any such thing as a GT dealer conversion that Ford sanctioned?

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recall hearing that this was being offered with the '65 A-code Mustangs that came out before the GT release. When the GT was released, the dealers would convert your A-code to a GT at the dealership. But I never heard of this being done with a C-code, although you could order GT features on a C-code.

Our '66 convertible C-code has dual GT exhaust through the rear valence, and I haven't seen evidence of single exhaust hangers underneath, so I think it was ordered from the factory that way.

Check out my Links to Mustang Sites web site at
http://links.vintage-mustang.com/

G

·
0 Posts
This is a regular subject of debate... Chances are that there were very few cars totally converted to GT's by Ford dealerships. In MCA concours judging, the car has to be an A or K code or else we deduct points.

Unless the guy has original paperwork to support his claim then he has to assume that his car is not an original GT car.

And as always... caveat emptor

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
I'll have to find my issue of it, but there was an advertisement run in Popular Mechanics during 1965 that had the banner "Your Ford dealer can make your Mustang a GT!" The ad goes on to describe the addition of many of the performance and dress-up options we all know about, like a 4-barrel intake, an upgraded camshaft, and styled steel wheels.

I'm sure that, as today, many non-GT Mustangs were "spruced-up" at dealers. But consider the difficulty involved and therefore, the likelihood, that the fenders would be repainted to eliminate the holes for the standard ornaments, and the elimination of either the quarter-panel ornaments or the pinstripes and rocker moldings. - I doubt that many Mustangs were converted to complete GT status by dealers early on.

With the exception of the GT badges and MUSTANG fender lettering, however, I believe that every other item comprising the GT equipment group was available as an option, and, therefor, could have been ordered on a C-code (or even a T-code) Mustang.

In fact, I own a 1965 Convertible with a 200 6-cylinder that was ordered and delivered with the heavy-duty handling package (predecesor to the GT package), including 15" wheels. Original spare is still in the trunk - 15 inch 4-hole.

Harland Lippold
HorseHeaven Classic Mustang
Restoration & Preservation
(509) 62-STANG

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
That's interesting regarding the I6 info. Now if Ford just saw the wisdom of offering front discs on the I6s back then!

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts