Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have just been burned. I picked up a set of disc brakes at a swap meet that were being sold as "65-66 GT disc brakes and spindles" I did not have any way of checking the parts numbers, they looked correct, and I'm probably way too trusting. I went to install them this afternoon on my '65 hardtop. Before mounting them on the control arms, I decided to test fit my new 65-66 front disc brake hoses. Well, it turns out the the threaded hole in the four disc calipers is way bigger than my brake lines threaded nipple. After noticing this, I didn't even attempt to mount them on the control arms. I'm hoping I didn't buy a set of spindles and brakes for some other Ford product. The casting numbers on the spindles is C60A-3107Fand C60A-3108F. The number cast into the calipers is E71941. If anyone knows what these numbers are please let me know. But, I'm thinking I may not want to know.....

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap! That figures. Can't trust anyone outside the VMF! Okay, so am I just screwed, or is there any way these will bolt into my '65?

G

·
0 Posts
i dont remember if 67 spindles are interchangeable with the earlier years, probably not. you can use the calipers but you'll have to use the 67 brake hose that has the larger fitting.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
You can take any 64.5 to 73 Mustang spindle and fit it on your car, likewise many Fairlane,Cougar,Cyclone up to 1970/1 or so, just use the corresponding outer tie rod end for that model year. Is your early car already a V8? You don't have to change spindles, 65-67 used the caliper mounting brackets to position the fixed 4 piston Kelsey/Hayes calipers. The 67 brackets will bolt to the V8 65-66 spindles. The size of the brake hose fitting did change on the 67 calipers, so you would just have to order the hoses for the 67.

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, you got a 67 set-up alright, but that is ok. Just buy 67 hoses, leave your spindles intact, and use the caliper brackets on YOUR spindles and reassemble everything. The spindles for the 67 are the same as what you have except the hole for the tie-rod end is larger.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WHEW! Thanks guys! For a second there, I thought I had been totally screwed! Looks like I just have to order a set of '67 brake lines, and a pair of '67 outer tie-rod ends. ("Hello, Matt?") When I was given the car, it had no front suspension. Someone had removed it to install in a I6/V8 swap car. So, I'm building the front suspension from scratch.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Just outta curiosity, what did this setup sell for at the swap meet?
I've been hemming and hawing about selling mine too ( 65 setup) but have no clue as to street price. I've seen the Granada setup for around $200 (max) on ehay, but I figure the 4 piston setup is rarer.

BossBill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts