Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if any body has the same problem as I with regard to Door and Roof Rail Weather Stripping.
I just can not get the molded ends to stick.
I have the Scott Drake Door Weather Strips, the 3M Black Weather Strip adhesive will not bond to the molded ends to the door.
The glue works fine on all the weather strip except the last 3 inches.
Hope some one can help.
I read in the NPD catalog to watch out for molded ends?

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
In with the weather stripping there should have been 4 palastic or metal deallies about 1/4 inch long with a larger flat head. These go through the ends and push into the holes in the doors and holds the moulded ends in place.I also glued mine useing the black weatherstip adhesive. On the moulded ends there are small indentations that have to be made to go through the strip, either with a drill or a punch. These will line up with the holes that are in the door.If there are none then use a drill bit that is a little smaller than the rivets.
Don

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Did you wash and clean the weatherstrip of the white talc on it before using the adhesive? Did you prime the weatherstrip before trying to fix it to the car? For the ends here's what I suggest. Chean the ends with soapy water (dishwashing detergent) then allow to dry. Once completely dry, then look at the side that is supposed to affix to the body. Prep it by putting a very thin layer of adhesive on the mating surface and let it dry. Clean the body area that is to hold the weatherstrip. Paint prep will do. Once the paint prepped area is dry, then mask off the contact area for the weatherstrip. Apply the weatherstrip adhesive to the contact area in a thin layer and let it dry. Lastly, put a new layer of weatherstrip adhesive on the contact area of the weatherstrip, allow it to become tacky then press it in place. Put the little plastic rivet in place. It will stick!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts