Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the glass is out of my 66FB while I'm painting it. So I'm planning to use some glass-polishing compound to polish up what I can, and replace what cant be saved (Some of it looks pretty rough :(). But I've got a couple questions before I get started:

1). I know I can polish the outside/front of the windshield and back glass, but what about the inside/back-side of these pieces? Is it safe to use the compound there as well? I know that safety glass is supposed to have a clear film in it, or on it, to keep things together. But I don't know where/how it was used in the 65/66 cars. I'd hate like hell to start polishing the inside/back-side of these pieces only to screw them up more than they already are.

2). I'm also thinking of tinting the back and side glass at some point, but was wondering if it would be easier and cheaper for me if I were to take the pieces to the glass shop NOW while it's all out of the car and have them tint it. Anyone done this? Do they/will they do this? is it cheaper? Thoughts?

Ken

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You may find that nobody will touch the side glass. It is tempered and the way it was explained to me was, (mine has a DA mark in it) tempered glass is under constant stress(?) and as it is polished heat developes in that area and the stress in the glass is concentrated in that one area resulting in breakage. I couldn't find a single glass shop that would touch my side windows.

I have heard of people using everything from glass polish to tooth paste but have never spoken to anyone who has actually tried it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Eastwood has a glass polishing kit, but be aware that it actually removes glass. So i dunno about that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're going to have your glass tinted, check with the local
"authorities" before you tint. If you make it too dark you may get a ticket. Just a thought.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do not use Eastwood's Pro Glass Polishing Kit. It is a total joke! Cost me plenty for the kit and the results are brutal. The glass is now junk.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Ken, Been there done that as they say. I had a glass guy attempt to polish the scratches out of my back and side glass, first of all the polisher only gets within an inch or two of the moldings etc, second of all it didn't remove them all, and last but not least, it distorted the glass and altered the factory tinting. Most people didn't notice it but I sure as heck did! So, I replaced the back and side glasses. Give me a call I have extra door glasses that I bought only for the stainless trim..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts