Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may be aware, I am having difficulties with my shift linkage. My car is 65 and has green dot shifter. My trans is (supposed to be) from a 66 Mustang, although I am beginning to doubt it is so.

Depending on how (and where) I adjust the linkage it will either go into Park or Low, but not both. When adjusted for Park:
(shifter=Trans)
P=P
R=R
N=R
D2=N
D1=D2
L=D1

Can't get trans into L. I can adjust it so L=L, but then everything is off by one pawl the other way nand it won't shift into park.

All bushings are new, no slop, pawl is adjusted, trans runs great, albeit when I put the shifter into L.

Any ideas?

Part 2 of this post: What exactly is the difference between the green dot C4's and later models. I believe that later, D2 was only second gear, not 2-3 and you could manually shift the trans as desired.

Is it simply a valve body change, or is there more to it than that? I am really getting frustrated with this one! Any and all suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

TIA

Frank

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just went through this...if sombody added a console to this car...and the shifter plate had to be 'shimmed up' because the console was raised due to aftermarket carpet backing height. Then the arc that the shift handle can swing through is restricted by the shifter plate and it is tough to get all the gears. I sacrificed the Low to get Park to work. Other option was to cut down the carpet backing.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...if sombody added a console to this car...
Hmmm. That somebody might be me. But, I didn't have to shim up the shifter plate. At least as far as I know I didn't.

But - you may be on to something. Tomorrow I'll take the console plate off and disassemble the shifter till I can see the detents and go from there.

Thanks a bunch for the heads-up!

Hopefully this will be it. Otherwise I'll be back tomorrow!

Thanks again.,

Frank

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sounds like you have something wrong with your shift linkage. Either the linkage is wrong or the manual shift arm is wrong. I can't see how adding a console would make any difference, unless the console wasn't placed in the right place (WAY too far back or WAY too far forward). Changing the valve body to a later valve body will make no difference, nor would removing the console. Do you have pics, by chance, of your linkage and manual shift arm?

Oh, and it doesn't matter which year shifter you use.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Herein lies the problem, Johnpro. Bought the car with no trans and a pile of parts in the trunk. Pretty sure the trans is 66. Believe also it is green dot type as D2 (or D1 or whatever it is-little dot) shifts 2-3 instead of just 2. So I'm pretty sure that's right.

Shifter was in the car. Pretty sure that is right.

Linkage was in the pile of parts in the trunk, along with a Mopar jack, a 71 alternator bracket, a box of bolts, you get the idea.

The linkage is the right shape - looks like the picture in the manual. But no matter how I adjust it, I can't get it to do all the things it is supposed to do.

Reason I asked about changing valve bodies was that I am considering just changing to a auto/man ratchet shifter, but don't see the point if the 2-3 shift will be automatic regardless.

I can see the point of the shifter arc being limited in travel if the shifter plate is raised - but not sure that's my problem as I didn't raise the shifter plate. Just went out in the garage and pulled the console plate off, but don't have the ambition to pull the console out at 11pm. Maybe tomorrow night.

When I installed the console, I set it in place with the shifter in park. It just clears the shifter handle in park so I don't think it is to far forward or back. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Don't have the correct end to end dimension for the linkage handy do you?

Sorry to hear of your encounter the other night. Made any decisions on that yet? Good luck.

Thanks.

Frank

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 66 with a console in it and a 1972 C-4 tranmission and had the same problem, the throw of the lever wouldn't cover the range from low to park. The 72 C-4 has 1-2-3-N-R-P. The shifter is mounted on the transmission hump, not the console so the console has nothing to do with the problem. I fabricated a short piece that bolts to the end of the shift lever to increase the throw and it works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts