Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 -66 gt authenticity

609 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Smokin_Joe 
#1 ·
Hello i am new here and i have a few questions.I am wanting a 65 -66 mustang GT. As i am looking at these cars ,some of them are gt clone cars,and not the real true Gt.(i dont want a clone)I want to know a for sure way to know that i am actually getting a true gt car.What are some sure fire ways of knowing???? By the "A" or "k" in the fith letter in the vin? This means its a GT??? :: I really dont want to get ripped off and i wanted to ask you pros here. Is it kind of like, dont even think about getting a GT now days because all the stangs have been molested beyond the point of no return? I dont want to get a GT that had been made to be a GT, with add onns etc.If any of you guys out there could help this newbie it would greatly be apprecitated. :pJust tell me what i need to know about finding the real gt, thanks, Jacob

#4 ·
Really the only way to know for sure is if you have the factory build sheet. Having an 'A' or 'K' in the VIN doesn't make it a Factory GT. Although you could rule out a car as being a GT if it doesn't have an 'A' or 'K' in the Vin. Good luck, I am in the same boat as you. My car I have been told from the PO was a '66 factory GT. It has all the markings and options where they should be. Although it lacks a build sheet and I've looked in all the places where I have been told it maybe found. So, I would say I'm 99% sure it's factory, but I can't say that I'm 100% sure that it really was, since I don't have the document to back it. But I'm still looking ::

#5 ·
I am not trying to be wiseguy but since you are newbie I am just asking if you are absolutely sure you want a GT. I know GTs have a price premium but some of us are willing to take a non-GT or six-cylinder Mustang and make it better than GT. Remember, Ford advertised that Mustang is a car designed to be designed by you.

GT is a package of options put together for those who were not so good checking option boxes when ordering ::. Surely, GT has improvements over base V8 model but also some things I don't consider that essential. Who uses those fog lights or needs tapes all over? Despite GT things many new family cars will outdrive a GT.

For example, Mustang with handling package had all the good parts of GT except HCC-AX steering box and steering box is first to go anyway when a good Mustang is being designed by me. This was just a friendly advice to search info and think before commiting so that you don't pay good money for GT and then find out that what you really want is a restomod like a friend did with his 68 GT 'Vert.

#6 ·
the problem is this: Ford tossed out all the original records. You can't get a Marti report or a Ford 999. So for a 65/66 you are at the mercy of the current owner. So, go look at those websites and take notes. And don't just listen to some current owners BS.
A good forinstance is my 66 GT. How do I know it's a GT? The foglight wiring was still under the dash. Switch was missing, but the hole was in the right spot. Plus it had the GT steering box...all old looking. And the fender emblems, and stripes, all under a $199.00 Shieb paint job done long ago. that sold me.

#7 ·
Hey thanks alot guys!!!! I am sure i will be more confused after reading all this stuff, but ill figure it out.I just wish there was some way for sure to tell no questions asked.Ive seen plenty of mock ups out there that can be had for 5-6 grand, sweet cars, but not the real deal.The car again will be our family car i just dont want to get ripped.Kind of discoraging so far, but then again i havent read your links yet. :: Any additional info would be great as I am at the mercy of the board for now.Im sure this subject was beaten to death long ago, but its new to me ::.Another question......if i had the vin# could i cross ref. it with a book of some sort to tell????I bought some books but they arent really that helpful, thanks folks ,Jacob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.