Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any obvious differences between NOS and aftermarket GT exhaust trumpets? I have a chance to buy what might be NOS, but I suspect they might be repackaged. The vents look more closed than I would have suspected. Did original vents sit further in from ends than aftermarket? One is not very conical in shape throughout. It has bulbous places closer to the point where it's welded to the pipe.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
It might depend upon the manufacturer. I have a set of Scott Drake trumpets that I bought for mine that look original on first glance but are actually more free flowing, the vents a little more open and made for larger exhaust. I might be able to take a few comparison pictures later.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
If your wanting originality, go with the NOS units. If you're just wanting the look, go listen to a few cars that have them. I used the Scott Drake on my GT and a repop set with larger diameter pipes on my 350... both sounded like a fart can under water- hated it! I ended up cutting the louvers out of both sets and they actually sound pretty good now. Point being- make sure you'll like the sound before installing them....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not on ebay. I visited him the other day. A couple are in open Ford boxes, others are not. Just curious if anyone had close up pics to go by. Don't want to pay NOS prices for repros.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,729 Posts
It might depend upon the manufacturer. I have a set of Scott Drake trumpets that I bought for mine that look original on first glance but are actually more free flowing, the vents a little more open and made for larger exhaust. I might be able to take a few comparison pictures later.
I thought they were made for 2" exhaust only. I installed a 2-1/4" system and could only find 2" models. I realize I could expand the inlets but defeats the purpose of installing a bigger exhaust.

·
Registered
145 Posts
...I realize I could expand the inlets but defeats the purpose of installing a bigger exhaust....
I'd think by the time the exhaust reaches the trumpets it has allready dropped a couple hundred degrees and decreased in volume. Probably not as bad as you think. I've poked around with my non-contact IR thermometer and measured about a 200 degree drop between the cast iron manifold and the front of the muffler.

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Drake made some free-flowing ones that have a little different louver design.
Original vs repro is usually evident in the quality of welding.
I have read some research that the originals, when installed, had the louvers vertical to the ground and in the same plane as the rear bumper and bottom of the valance, where the re-pros, when installed, are usually a little off-level because of the difference in the curvature of the pipe.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Ok, here is comparison between factory and Scott Drake. Now these are a over a year old, so manufacturer could have changed but this is what I have. The Scott Drake is just slightly smaller in total diameter of the trumpet. However, the louvers are larger, covering about 2 1/2 inches across vs. 2 inches. Pipe size is 2 1/4 OD.
Don't guarantee I will use them but they were rumored to be out of production when I bought them so I decided to act.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the photos. Will take a tape measure when I go back, and will look for part numbers. Pipes were natural finish. Maybe the black paint is a Drake thing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are there any obvious differences between NOS and aftermarket GT exhaust trumpets? I have a chance to buy what might be NOS, but I suspect they might be repackaged. The vents look more closed than I would have suspected. Did original vents sit further in from ends than aftermarket? One is not very conical in shape throughout. It has bulbous places closer to the point where it's welded to the pipe.

Thanks,
Robert
Here you go,found pictures and a price I would pay if I was needing some...............https://www.ebay.com/itm/233606462694?ViewItem=&vxp=mtr&item=233606462694

1 - 12 of 12 Posts