Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the GT's did not have the rear chrome bumperettes, I'm curious as to what was originally done to plug the bracket hole(s) that pass through to the trunk on a non-GT car? Were they unpunched? Plugged with seam sealer or factory bolts?

I assume the stock brackets were not left in place under the valence.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wondered that same thing when I was looking to plug the holes left from removing my bumperettes. Ended up using a combo of bolts washers and rubber washers on the two going into the trunk. I left the bracket and used two bolts with white nylon washers for support and to get rid of the holes. kip

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The holes were filled with strip caulk seam sealer before the car was painted.
No, they actually have plugs that go in the holes. It shown on page 63 of the 1966 Body assembly manual. Part number 379286-S Plug Button. One is used through the trunk and another through the cross frame to where the mounting bracket would be.

I don’t see them for sale from the usual Mustang vendors, but there are supposed to be a couple in the body plug kits they sell. A quick google search showed several Ford parts places that sell them for a bout a buck each. 8 found an NOS box of 10 on EBay and grabbed that since I need 8 for the two cars I am working on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The GT exhaust trumpets exit the lower valance in that location. On my car there are two 1/2" holes in the trunk area. One on each side. No patch or plugs. Brian

·
Registered
564 Posts
The GT exhaust trumpets exit the lower valance in that location. On my car there are two 1/2" holes in the trunk area. One on each side. No patch or plugs. Brian
Did you plug them? Seems like a bad place to have any open holes, do you get any exhaust in your trunk?

Reactions: dennis111

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The holes are hidden behind the bumper and should be plugged.

Reactions: dennis111 and TB350

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
My box of plugs just got here

Product Material property Font Electric blue Wood

Reactions: dennis111

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I am guessing the correct installation would start from the valance and push toward the trunk? Brian

·
Registered
73 Posts
One problem with trying to provide an answer to the original post is not knowing what year and plant the question is about. Without those details there is a good chance the the answers will not match the need

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
So I am guessing the correct installation would start from the valance and push toward the trunk? Brian
Yes according to the assembly manual they are pushed in from the outside. Of course as J_Speegle alluded to, not every plant always followed the manual, and procedures varied over time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts