Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever ran 235/60/15 tires on a ll 4 corners on a 65/66 i have 4 15 by 7 torque thrust 3.75 back space and i would like to run those tires on all 4 corners if i have to flare the fenderlips thats fine i mainly want to know has anyone ever ran that tire up front and got the car in alignment those tires are 26 inchs tall i already know that 225/60 15 can work but i think they are 25 1/2 inch tall i am building a vintage trans am style 65 for the street and would like that look thanks for any info u have. i have seen a tribute 67/68 Jerry Titus trans am mustang with those tires all 4 corners but i know the front end is a bit different

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
How much are you willing to spend on modifications? I don't think even Dodgestang's tire and wheel fitment guide has that spec for a front end listed. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done though. Right off the bat the backspacing isn't optimum so you would have interference to the inside and with the upper control arm, Arning UCA modification and negative camber adjustments notwithstanding. Only something like 1" adaptors would move everything outboard enough to clear inside. Then you've got the outer fender lips to deal with big time, and that means either major cutting or major cutting and adding flares too. If you did these things you could probably pull that combo off, although I don't think you would want to lower the front end too much beyond the 5/8" the Arning Drop provides automatically. So that's the front, but be aware that unless you have power steering for this street car you're planning the steering effort required to park the thing might be a wrestling match.

The rear would be easier to do with the same adaptors as up front and maybe only rolling the fenders, but the overall look of the car would be a little funky I think. You might consider flaring the rear fenders to match the fronts and maybe even going with a wider tire back there. I don't suppose you'd be able to lower the rear suspension a great deal though, something to consider. Hopefully all this helps you better understand the issues you're up against.

There's a member here (@2nd 66) who knows the 65/66's like Johnny on the spot. He'll probably see this and offer his opinion so pay attention to what he says. He has one while I've only played around with this subject "on paper" (mine's a '68). You could also talk to people at @Opentracker Racing and/or @Shaun at Street or Track (both VMF vendors) and hear what they have to say.
The vision you have for your car is cool. :)

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
The issue with 3.75BS is it will put the tire in contact with the fender. Like Patrick said if you want cut the fenders add flairs adjust camber sure ..
With a 15x7wheel 4.25BS is ideal. If you want to tuck a 235 or more under a stock fender consider 4.5BS and trimming the ball joint shroud or maybe using tubular UCA

Those T/A guys had tricks all was not as stock as it looked at first
SUNP0145.JPG

SUNP0142.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
The issue with 3.75BS is it will put the tire in contact with the fender.
To the OP; I must've had depth perception dyslexia or something this morning because this^^^^ is correct and my post mentioning adaptors wasn't. I knew the backspacing was off from optimum but had it going the other way. Thanks to @2nd 66 for getting it right.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The TTD is one of my favorite wheels, Im really thinking about putting a 65 rear end in my 67 so I can run the 15x7 on the rear and have them tucked inside the fender.

Would still have to run the 15x6 up front.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Don't do it. If you are set on the 15x7 tt use a 215-60-15 tire on front with negative camber as close to -1 degree as you can get and run the 225-60 in the rear.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
The TTD is one of my favorite wheels, Im really thinking about putting a 65 rear end in my 67 so I can run the 15x7 on the rear and have them tucked inside the fender.

Would still have to run the 15x6 up front.
Of you get 15x7x4.25 you can run the squared and tuck without doing that

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Except the TTD doesnt come in a 4.25 BS.

15x6 3.66 BS
15x7 3.75 BS
15x8 4.50 BS

If I run a 65 rear end, I can run the 15x7 or 15x8 with a 235/60/15 tire on the rear and run the 15x6 on the front with a 215/65/15 tire and have all four at 26" tall +/- .1" and have the same amount of side wall +/- 2mm. Track width with the 6/7 rims or the 6/8 rims will be so close you would have to measure to see the difference.

I dont care about rotating them.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I am also trying to figure out wheel and tire size..I have mini tubed mine and will be running a 15x8 in the rear and in the front.....Not sure yet but will be doing SOT coil over front and the 3 link in the rear...with a 9” maybe narrowed...

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Hope you're gonna run power steering!

Reactions: 4ocious
1 - 11 of 11 Posts