Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have the exact measurements for the 65-66 door speaker grill location? I want to use the original door speaker grilles that came with the AM/8 track stereos. Un fortunately someone already put speaker holes in the door and I wanted to use the factory grilles to cover these holes. A template with the measurements and reference points would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good Morning -

Look for a post by 196667Bob on 3-19-2016. He has some very good information and I think it is just what you are looking for.

Have a great day!

TB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi TB,

Thanks! I tried finding 196667Bob post on 03-19-2016. I couldn't find it. Do you have a link to his pst or thread?

Thanks,

DF

·
Registered
35,229 Posts
IIRC, up to but not overlapping the door sculpture line, 7" from the front (hinge) face of the door.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1965-66 Door Speakers

Dan : Did you find the thread and following Posts OK ? The thread was actually started on 9/11/2005 by DesmoDog; there were a few Replies, then a gap until 03/18/2016, where myself and others added a lot of info.
If you are still having trouble finding the original Thread, let me know.

Bob

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pete : Yes, but I received a message from Dan that he couldn't find the link you gave him. Maybe the message I received was delayed ? Maybe something to do with the Password Reset ? Anyway, if he still can't find it, I'm sure we'll hear back.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Pete and Bob,

Thanks for sending the links to the threads. They have been real helpful. Bob, I was wondering if you have the side of the Ford instructions for the "Installation - kit - Tape System Stereo Speakers - Door MTD"? If you do, could you scan that side of the page and post it. It's missing on the scan that you posted. I can only make out one measurement from the scan posted.

I also found another thread that has some measurement directly from someone that has an 66 Mustang with the AM/8 trk stereo with door speakers. He listed it as

> Measured from the inside edge of the door, the top front speaker hole is 7.25" back and 3.75" up from the bottom. Use the speaker grills to locate the remaining holes.

Here is the link to his thread:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/614213-location-1966-factory-door-speakers.html

So I'm confused on which is the correct measurement? Bob is your measurement from a factory installation? I wonder if this could be a factory variance between assembly plants?

The front edge of the grille is 7" back from the front face of the door, and the top edge of the grille was up to but not on the raised line at the bottom of the door panel.

or

Measured from the inside edge of the door, the top front speaker hole is 7.25" back and 3.75" up from the bottom. Use the speaker grills to locate the remaining holes.

What is the correct location of the speaker mounting holes or speaker grill?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Bob,

On the Ford Instructions... The scan that is posted is missing one side of the page. Was wondering if you could scan that side of the page and post it.

Thanks for your help,

Dan

·
Registered
536 Posts
1966 Door Speaker Grill Location

Dan : I'll be more than happy to Post the other half of the Instruction Sheet; however, Beware. As I noted, the Instruction Sheet I have is for 1967 Door Mounted Speakers. The location of the 1967 Door Mounted Speakers is driven by the location of the openings in the lower door grills of 1967's. This is probably why I didn't Post the other half in the earlier thread, as I thought that someone might use it for the location of the 1966 Speaker Door grills, but the main subject of the earlier thread was the Door Cutouts themselves, which I was trying to illustrate on the right half of the Instruction Sheet.
While this Instruction Sheet is great for my 1967 with Hang-On 8 Track Player, I'm not sure of its validity for the 1966's, other than possibly the cutout itself.
Therefore, unless I find the Instruction Sheet for 1966's before I am ready to install the speakers on my 1966 (which has the AM - 8 Track) , I am going to install mine based on 22GT's description ; "The correct position is easy- The front edge of the grille is 7" back from the front face of the door, and the top edge of the grille was up to but not on the raised line at the bottom of the door panel. The holes were basically four 1" or so holes at the corners, cut straight in between. The speakers had captive nuts, and the machine screws held both speakers and grilles in place."
If anyone has, or you come across the 1966 Instructions, I would love to have a copy.

Hope this helps,

Bob <!-- / message -->

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting the other side of the speaker installation instructions for speaker cutout for a 67 Mustang. Thanks for clarifying you were showing the cutout diagram for the speaker cut. That helps.

Yes, it would be nice if anyone had the 66 speaker instructions to post or actual measurements from a 65 or 66 factory installation for the door speaker grills.

Thanks again,

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts