Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably get axed(hope not) but I just got a early 70's vw buggy. My sister's father in law recently passed and it was his. I had been trying to buy it from him for 3 or 4 years so I have it now. The sad thing is every time I look at it I see him. Well it has 65-66 mustang tail lights which I now remember was a popular thing to put on these. Its a volkstang, LOL(a mustwagen?). It needs work and money but I'm up for it. I'm also considering cutting in 65-66 front turn signals for it. I think that would be just so kewl because those big old vw turn signals sitting up on the fenders look like crap.

It has the big dual ported 1600 desireable engine. I got it fired last week and its almost as loud as my car. Loud = power, compression, pop, thrust, go mo better, good engine. Well thats my opinion on it. Now its on to throwing money at it.

I'm still welding on the rear quarter panel on my mustang. Jees its taking forever but I'm slow and I want to do it right. I didn't know how to attach a quarter when I started and somewhere about half way through the process the big DOH came when I discovered how to do it right. I had to have the rear of the car straightened before I could get it to fit right. I also had to have the leaf springs recurved. It took a fraction of the time to finish the front half as the back.

I'm still hoping to re-paint in the spring. I hadn't thought much about how much I've done to it until I wondered why its taking so long. I've redone the tail panel, fitted a new decklid(took forever), put in a new toe board and front floor pan, cut in a large section of inner and outer rocker panel on the passenger side, installed new convertible torque boxes on both sides, subframe connectors welded in, traction masters, reskinned one door(got the other to do) and the new rear quarter panel skin along with a new outer wheel house. I also cleaned, repaired and prepped the front fenders, installed a new shifter, took the pad off the dash and got it ready for paint. No wonder I'm so fraken tired all the time. Its going to be a nice ride though when I get it done. Thats all that keeps me motivated to stay with it. I'm in the pain and suffering mode on it now.

I have one issue left I'm debating and that is should I keep my louvres or put in the glass aka Shelby. Can anybody tell me how hard of an install the glass is?

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
My vote would be to keep the louvres. JMO

1 - 2 of 2 Posts