Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best 65-66 pony wheel option.
I'm looking for a pony steering wheel, but haven't had any luck finding a good one yet. I ordered one from cjpony, but it is not a very good reproduction (diff color woodgrain, hollow wheel - there are open holes where the spokes fit into the wheel and when you tap it it clearly emits hollow sound, and the studs are not aligned correctly).
Does anyone know of a good aftermarket piece that would be a good substitute for the original? I checked mustang unlimited and their wheel is the same as cj's, but more tha a few $'s more. I suspect most of the supply shops have a common source, but hoping one of you has better insight you can share.
FWIW, I just pulled my car out after a long hiatus and am not up to speed on the marketplace. I have an original pony wheel that i bought in the late 70's, but it's slightly bent and i suspect it shouldn't be repaired - albeit I'm not sure if its a cast piece.
Any thoughts or experiences on repairing a bent wheel would be appreciated too. I suspect it's not a safe option, but neither are my brakes w/a single master cylinder.....
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The more common and less pricey wheel is manufactured by KSI. I think they are fine for drivers, It sounds like that's the one that you bought,I assume you paid about $250 or so.The only other options I know of would be to restore an original,find a pristine or n.o.s. original or you could go with a repo wheel by Scott Drake,I believe the Drake wheels cost about $450-500 by the time you buy all of the parts.Most places don't stock them,but I'm sure they would order one for you.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Best thing to do is restore yours. IMO the repro wheels don't come anywhere near the appearance of an original. If the chrome spokes are good on yours you should be able to have it done for around $350-ish. When done it'll look better than any repro wheel ever could...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts