Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper orientation of the 65/66 radiator support (hood) seal. Prior to removing my old dry rotted one, I forgot to take a pic of the orientation of the lip on the seal. 1) Does the lip face forward or face aft on the radiator support? and 2) Does the lip face up or face down? I think the lip faces aft and up as follows?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, guys..........I appreciate all the help everyone has ever given me here but do want to know per my initial post and 66_72stangers reply about its proper orientation, that the seal is installed correctly per the pic, with the lip of the seal, facing the rear and up?

My car was born as an I6, but now idetifies as a V8 (I6 to V8 conversion) lol. I researched the seal (all the pros and cons) of its intended use and actual effectiveness and decided to keep it on my car. My original seal was dry rotted and breaking off into pieces prior to removal, and I failed to remember or take pics of it installed orientation.

Thanks again for everyones help. I am soo so so close to being finished and will have a few more questions about small stuff.

Very very very respectful

Sean

·
Registered
97 Posts
As to orientation, if "the lip" is the folded end then you have it almost correct. On my '67 factory A/C equipped big block, the rubber lip is pushed onto the trailing edge of the radiator support and held in place with industrial grade staples (two small holes for each staple drilled into the radiator support). The leading edge of the radiator support seal actually seals against the underside of the hood when it is closed to keep air flow going through the radiator instead of over the top of the radiator.

·
Registered
430 Posts
On my 65 the ribbed bead is opened and it is hooked around the trailing edge of the radiator support, then stapled into place. So your orientation is correct but it's not "hooked" on to the trailing edge. Is the bead closed or opened?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, I think I got it!!!! I hooked the lip on the trailing edge of the radiator support and was surprised how the leading edge of the seal sticks up (I do not have the staples installed yet, but with them installed, the leading edge will still stick up a bit). I now get it how the seal really works, and forces air down and into the radiator rather than letting air go over the top of the engine. A 50 year old seal lays flat on the radiator support and really does not seal anything. The newley installed seal, the leading edge of the seal will stick up a bit and make contact with the hood, creating a seal between the bottom of the hoodl. Thanks again for everyones help!

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I got this seal for my car quite a while back and still have not installed it as yet. From what I read when I got mine, people that have these recommend that you glue it down with 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive or some equivalent as well as staple it. Let it dry up before you shut the hood on it.

If it has just the staples, they said that wind rushing up on that will eventually cause the staple holes to tear and eventually more later most of it will be un-stapled. At that point people used to just pull the thing off. That was supposedly when these old cars were a lot newer. Also said was the reason Ford put this on the 6's at first was because they didn't have a fan shroud. I never owned one of these with a 6 so I don't know.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I run this on my 65 CVT. While it's not correct, I believe it does enhance the cooling aspect as it was designed. Mine is simply installed by being slid over the back edge of the radiator support. it's been in place since the early 2000s with no staples or adhesives.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
I got this seal for my car quite a while back and still have not installed it as yet. From what I read when I got mine, people that have these recommend that you glue it down with 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive or some equivalent as well as staple it. Let it dry up before you shut the hood on it.

If it has just the staples, they said that wind rushing up on that will eventually cause the staple holes to tear and eventually more later most of it will be un-stapled. At that point people used to just pull the thing off. That was supposedly when these old cars were a lot newer. Also said was the reason Ford put this on the 6's at first was because they didn't have a fan shroud. I never owned one of these with a 6 so I don't know.
The seal was installed to prevent carburetor icing in the 170/200. I had that straight from a Ford engineer who was there. As for the shroud, there was a shroud for the I6, just as there was for the V8. However, as rare as Extra Cooling and Air Conditioning were on the V8, they were extremely rare on the I6.

I don't see how the wind would tear the stitches out. The whole thing flaps up onto the hood frame, which is why it is that wide. Being sandwiched between the hood and rad support makes it almost impossible for it to tear, since it would have to go up to do that, and with the hood closed it cannot go up. The stitch would have to go sideways through an inch of hard rubber.

I have seen some Metuchen cars that had a few electrical clips holding it instead of the stitches. Not according to the assembly manual, so it must have been an assembly line expedient.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts