Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a past mustang owner (fake 65 Shelby) and lifelong mustang lover. I have a Shelby hood that I am trying to determine if it is real or not. My uncle, who purchased the hood 15 + years ago said he had pulled it off a 66 Hertz that had gotten rapped around a telephone pole in Los Angeles. Is
there any way for me to identify the hood? I have been told conflicting things.

Thank you for any help!

Pete

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The original hoods came in several flavors (designs) and good reproductions have been available for quite some time. I've never had a reproduction next to one of my hoods, to be able to quote the differences. There were two different style of all-steel hoods. They're just about equally rare, and were never reproduced. The original '66 fiberglass hoods had a steel frame under them. The skin had a nice mat on the underside, with the skin held onto the frame with a chopped fiberglass mixture around the outside. The holes in the metal framework where the hood pins passed through, were very clean and perfectly circular as punched through. If the hood is 100% fiberglass, it's not likely original to a '66. If it has a frame and the skin appears to have been made by blow-strand fiberglass, it's most likely a reproduction. If it's as I described earlier, it may only be determined upon close inspection or by by a means someone will share here-in. Jeff Speegle, a forum member, is in that area, and VERY knowledgable on the cars, his web site is: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/index.html

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i have 1 of each sitting here. 1 very obvious difference as already mentioned is the " texture" under the hood. the real hood fiberglass is very rough,very obvious. the branda repro is almost smooth under the hood. not sure about other differences. i bought a repro and stumbled across the real thing a couple months later.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your assistance, I will take some pics tonite and attempt to post them.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts