Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has a 65/66 Shelby style scooped hood ever tried to convert it to a true ram-air setup? I was just daydreaming about this yesterday......I was thinking that most Shelby clones I see run a chrome open air filter setup, but that does not really take direct advantage of the hood scoop. Do you think you could use a stock 65/66 air filter housing, remove and block off the snout, and add some spacing and weatherstripping around the rim so it would seal to the hood underneath the scoop? If you ran that without the stock top, with one of those K&N top filters inside you might get some appreciably cooler air to the carb.
Just wondering if anyone had ever tried this. (?) Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
814 Posts
Hey Dickson. I'm sure other's will have more info on this, than me. But, from what I have read, there is a boundary of non or slow moving air just above the surface of the hood. Because of this, you would not get a ram-air effect with the 65/66 Shelby style hood scoop. You would need a scoop that is elevated above this boundary to get a ram effect. But, other's may know better. See Ya!

1965 289 Hardtop
MCA #45799
Mississippi Coast Mustang Club

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Hi Dickson,
It's a good idea, but I seriously doubt that you could flow enough air through that little scoop to provide the total airflow required by the engine. The placement of that particular scoop is not optimum for ram air, and even if it was, you have to keep in mind that there are high rpm/low speed conditions where there is no ram air effect, but the engine still needs the airflow.
Jim

Jim Vogel
Tallmadge, Ohio

http://beta.freepichosting.com/Sites/12217.jpg
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jim on 04/16/01 01:34 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
6,968 Posts
I've been thinking about this exact same idea for some time. I have an aversion to adding anything non-functional to a car, so if I ever switched over to a shelby style hood, I'd want it to do something besides provide clearance for the air cleaner wing nut.

The scoop isn't big enough to provide a true ram air effect. However, I think it could very well provide a cooler, denser air charge under certain operating conditons. This has been used on other cars in the past. For example, my 1983 Trans Am had factory functional rear facing air scoop that opened with the 4-barrel to provide cooler dense air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield.

So, I think you could make a functional hood scoop to supplement the air needs of the engine.

1. Open up the hood scoop on a shelby style hood.
2. Cut an opening in the air cleaner lid.
3. Fab up a seal, to seal between the engine and the hood. The key would be to make this look "factory" as opposed to looking like the seal around a window air-conditioner on an old trailer.
4. A solinoid actuated flapper, working off a micro switch on the throttle rod would be extremely cool.
5. Consideration would have to be made to directing the air from the hood scoop through some filter. This could be a thinner secondary filter built into the seal, rather than the main air filter. Because this filter would just be open at WOT or when the secondaries were open, it would not get nearly as much use as the main filter. Thus a thinner media might be justified. You could even use a defeat switch in the cockpit so the driver could kill the scoop during rainy or dusty conditions.

Now, although I do think this would be neat and everything, and would make the hood scoop "functional", I would NOT expect any dramatic power gains. I would guess 3 - 7 horsepower at the crank.

So, it'd be a 9 on the "coolness chart"
it'd be a "2" on the "useful chart"

Keep thinking though. If you decide to do it, make sure you take pictures.

Phil

'65 Convertible (with many mods.)
http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Pony.htm

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I accept that maybe the size of the Shelby scoop just is not big enough to truly be a ram air, but I do think that a cooler gulp of air would be beneficial.
As I have much bigger "issues" with my car at this time (like paint and reassembly *G*), but this is something to file away for use if the restomod project ever materializes.......Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Dickson,

I have gone to sleep for the past some odd months thinking about it. I'm gonna do it. You idea using the stock air filter pan and blocking off the snout, that exactly what I was planning. The pan calls for a 14 inch air filter but an 11 inch will fit and maybe a 9. Use the lid from a chrome filter or the K&N that matches the air filter ie 9in 11in. I'll find a cylinder that will sit between the pan and the carb to get the pan as close the the hood as possible. I will cut a hole in the hood under the scoop but smaller than the size of the pan. So once I figure how to get an air tight seal I'll I'll have room to play with. Now, the snout has 2 wing nut that attach it. Remove the snout add a sealed sliding door mechanism. The door will need a hole in it and enough sheet metal to cover the hole of the pan. This is where you get air from if it rains. How do you keep the rain out of the scoop? I'm thinking of a spring loaded block plate that pops up when activated and diverts water and air over the scoop. I've thought of a trap door on a swivel hinge but that would have to sit on the hood at all time for all to see, ugly. Thinking of a spring loaded piece of sheet metal bolted under the hood that shoos out a thin cut line in front of the scoop. A switch under the dash controls everything. Something like a choke cable. You pull it when it rains, the scoop cover pop up, and the snorkel vent is opened.

I don't ever really sleep. I just stop to think about my Mustang for long periods of time. I even run through sanding the primer at night.

LATAMUD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts