Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has a 65/66 Shelby style scooped hood ever tried to convert it to a true ram-air setup? I was just daydreaming about this yesterday......I was thinking that most Shelby clones I see run a chrome open air filter setup, but that does not really take direct advantage of the hood scoop. Do you think you could use a stock 65/66 air filter housing, remove and block off the snout, and add some spacing and weatherstripping around the rim so it would seal to the hood underneath the scoop? If you ran that without the stock top, with one of those K&N top filters inside you might get some appreciably cooler air to the carb.
Just wondering if anyone had ever tried this. (?) Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I accept that maybe the size of the Shelby scoop just is not big enough to truly be a ram air, but I do think that a cooler gulp of air would be beneficial.
As I have much bigger "issues" with my car at this time (like paint and reassembly *G*), but this is something to file away for use if the restomod project ever materializes.......Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.