Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost all of the pictures to be able too do a pictorial on the restore of the side vent system of the 1st generation FastBacks. Some things I found that were interesting about the whole system would be that there is A LOT OF PARTS.
I am talking about the whole shabang. The outside Vents, the middle slide louver system and the inner sail panels chrome restore. Between both sides I think there turned out to be well over 100 parts alone to make what turns out to be an amazing and complex contraption that ads function coupled with an image that no doubt draws to the mystique look of the early Fastback into legend status, yet separates the water from air at the same time. Just feeling if there is an interest here for this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
side vents

Man I would love to see your pics! The truth is I took my assembly's all apart and cleaned and painted them up,and now I am not sure about how they go back together the correct way. I also want to make sure I still have all my parts because I moved to a different house during my Mustang restore and everything had to be put in containers.

Thanks dave

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
I can certainly relate, just took mine all apart, cleaned, taped off and
re-painted the black area's, took all day, it was a very time consuming
job that I'm glad to have behind me!

Would like to see your pictures and see how you did it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Mark,

I also would love to see your pics and even host your "how to" on my little site if your interested. If not no worries.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Mark, I would alsoi like to see your pics of the side vent restore as I am in the middle of doing the ones on SWMBO'S fastback right now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes! My project was missing the vents and I have been looking for a pair for exactly a year yesterday and got a set last night. They are in pieces.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , thanks for the interest. I will start putting the picks and notes together. It will take some time but I knew there could be interest. I never had the courage to put mine in a box because there were SO many darn parts. So mistakenly as I took the vents out and the external vents out one by one for painting body color I left them in the correct order on the correct side of the car on the fold down seat... the newly carpeted and assembled fold down seat. Well :fbomb

when I lifted the first vent piece months later the carpet was black underneath , no problem since the carpet is black. the fact is the carpet around it was already brown from fading. I digress. Wait for my step by step and you will have a link to a correct assembly of parts. As far as concourse correct puddy and stuff like that I have no idea, but I will get your pieces back together with piece of mind. Laurie re-chromed my inner sail panels so I will have some insight there too as to how it can be done to a part that is not in reproduction , so perfection is up to each of you to dismantle it if you have that pesky pitting look.

Robert your hosting would be great! I hear talk about masking so I know some of you know the the pain in the detail. I have done masking and free brushing to explore which is better. I remove and restore the look of all screening and chrome piece prior to painting. The detailing is so involved if you have some OCD tendencies like I do about perfection. (weird because some things I couldn't care less about) As you know this part of the car is one of the external areas that get a lot of casual silent interest. Doing them perfect for me was a joy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm just starting to restore my vents, so it would be great to so some pics! I have finished the inside panels which turned out really good. Like you said, the outside vents look a little more complicated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey
I would also be very happy to see your pics here! Disassembled mine already and the sealing on the middle slide louver system is broken.
Are there any reproductions on the market? Or did you seal it yourself with silicone?

greetz from germany
Raphael

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mark, this is Curt. March 2014. did you ever complete your piece on restoring the 65-66 Mustang Fastback (roof) vents? If so, would love to have a link. My 65 sat in a box in pieces for 10+ years. It's now about 85% complete. Working on the interior has been fun, but daunting when it came to the vent reconstruction. I have all the outer pieces complete, but as some readers said, cannot remember the order of all those parts!

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's now March 2019, and still waiting for that write-up with pics... Does anyone have a link? Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
The new AMK 65-66 vent grill hardware kit (F-2934) came with the studs, nuts, and some rubber washers, but I don't know where the rubber washers go. I don't remember seeing any when I disassembled the vents 6 years ago.

Does anyone know where the rubber washers go (foreground in the pic) in the 65-66 fastback rear roof vents?

Thanks!
Garth

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ok, I figured out what the 12 rubber washers are for... The go on the long studs on the interior side of the car, just ahead of the small nuts which secure the louvers to the car. Pictures to come.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine were all apart and hope I have all the pieces to assemble them but like others I really don’t know how all the pieces go properly together...A wright up would be fantastic...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wish I had a write up when I was putting the vents together last year. Mine came all apart and I wasn't sure I had all of them. But between pics and osborn's manuals I was able to put it together (including pics from ebay).

·
Registered
442 Posts
65-66 Side Vent Restore - steps & pics

Or, "How to assemble your 65-66 Fastback Roof Vents"

Following are a few pictures and steps as I restored/re-assembled the rear roof/side vents for my 66 fastback.

Here are the original vents, as removed from the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
I polished the chrome bits with 00 steel wool, then put them on a buffing wheel on my bench grinder. There's still some slight pitting or crazing visible in the chrome if you look closely, but the cleaned up pretty nicely. Not perfect, but it's not a show car. I put the mesh grills in a Harbor Freight vibratory tumbler with some walnut shells and polishing compound and let it run for several hours (although I found that the wingnut would regularly vibrate itself loose after about 15-20 minutes). I wasn't entirely satisfied with how the mesh screens came out, so I then carefully polished them on the buffing wheel. Again, not as bright or shiny as re-plating, but they look pretty good in my opinion.

I also used a small brush to re-paint the black sections inside the openings of the chrome vent frames. These pics were taken before I used an Exacto blade to clean the excess paint off the chrome where it flowed into the slight lip are of each vent window.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 92 Posts