Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Upon further research, I have found a lot of folks who supply small u-shaped edge trim. What comes up in your search is very sensitive to your search terms. Anyway, I found some different weatherstrip that is actually better dimensionally, and has a rounded top edge to avoid the excess friction.
Be sure to post the source, website, and part number when you're done. Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Garth - any advice on getting the chrome vents out or how they should be painted (see above)?
I couldn't determine an easy or safe way to remove them without possibly breaking things, so I just masked them off when I painted my vent panels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, so the new vent gasket material arrived. It is made by Trim Lok Rubber, and you can buy direct from them. But you can also get it on Amazon the next day using Prime. On the Amazon site, this is the smallest dimension material they offer. Here is what it looks like:

Trim Lok Gasket.PNG 20200211_190605.jpg

and here is what it looks like attached to the panel. The fit is good, no trimming is required, the top edge is round, not flat and it covers all of the panel edge on both sides:

20200211_190237_adj.jpg 20200211_190343_adj.jpg 20200211_190354_adj.jpg 20200211_190408_adj.jpg

Now comes the fun part - trying to find some kind of adhesive to glue it down. I used a piece of leftover 22 gauge sheet metal (same thickness as the panel - 2 mm) as my test plate. Following Garth66's suggestions, the contestants are a) 2-part Epoxy, b) Super Glue / Cyanoacrylate, c) 3M Super Black Weatherstrip adhesive, and d) JB Weld RTV:

20200211_194115.jpg

Results so far: a) 2-part Epoxy - I can actually work with this stuff, lay down a thin layer on both edges of the metal, and then also get some down into the rubber channel. Still checking the adhesion. b) Super Glue / Cyanoacrylate - this is the easiest material to apply due to the low viscosity, and it is the easiest to fill the narrow channel. However, it sticks so quickly that I accidentally glued the channel shut in places before I was able to set the channel over the metal edge. I will have to work quickly in very short segments. c) the 3M Super Black Weatherstrip adhesive sticks well, but it is nearly impossible to put on evenly without making a mess and equally impossible to get down into the narrow channel. (Side note - I hate this stuff - I had to replace both of the large main weatherstrips on the doors, and what miserable stuff to work with). d) JB Weld RTV - this material is also easy to apply, but the rubber trim fit is so tight that cleans off the RTV off of the metal as it is applied, leaving hardly anything behind, so it doesn't stick well. a), b) and c) are still in contention, and I will try to avoid c) if I can.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Excellent find! Looks great! And great write-up too! If you had to buy 25 feet of the U-channel stuff, will you be selling "Quarter Vent Seal Kits" soon? :LOL:

I look forward to the final results of the adhesive test.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Excellent find! Looks great! And great write-up too! If you had to buy 25 feet of the U-channel stuff, will you be selling "Quarter Vent Seal Kits" soon? :LOL:

I look forward to the final results of the adhesive test.
Dude - I'll provide you a "Quarter Vent Seal Kit" right now for free, just for all the help you have given me. I'm serious - give your address and I'll send you some.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Very nice writeup and work. I will put print this info and add it to my holy grail book of knowledge of all things Mustang out in the garage, and if I ever take mine apart again, know where I can get some nice fitting weatherstrip!
DSCN7379.JPG DSCN7382.JPG DSCN7384.JPG DSCN7385.JPG DSCN7387.JPG DSCN7388.JPG DSCN7389.JPG

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, so the new vent gasket material arrived. It is made by Trim Lok Rubber, and you can buy direct from them. But you can also get it on Amazon the next day using Prime. On the Amazon site, this is the smallest dimension material they offer. Here is what it looks like:

View attachment 744245 View attachment 744247

and here is what it looks like attached to the panel. The fit is good, no trimming is required, the top edge is round, not flat and it covers all of the panel edge on both sides:

View attachment 744249 View attachment 744250 View attachment 744251 View attachment 744246

Now comes the fun part - trying to find some kind of adhesive to glue it down. I used a piece of leftover 22 gauge sheet metal (same thickness as the panel - 2 mm) as my test plate. Following Garth66's suggestions, the contestants are a) 2-part Epoxy, b) Super Glue / Cyanoacrylate, c) 3M Super Black Weatherstrip adhesive, and d) JB Weld RTV:

View attachment 744248

Results so far: a) 2-part Epoxy - I can actually work with this stuff, lay down a thin layer on both edges of the metal, and then also get some down into the rubber channel. Still checking the adhesion. b) Super Glue / Cyanoacrylate - this is the easiest material to apply due to the low viscosity, and it is the easiest to fill the narrow channel. However, it sticks so quickly that I accidentally glued the channel shut in places before I was able to set the channel over the metal edge. I will have to work quickly in very short segments. c) the 3M Super Black Weatherstrip adhesive sticks well, but it is nearly impossible to put on evenly without making a mess and equally impossible to get down into the narrow channel. (Side note - I hate this stuff - I had to replace both of the large main weatherstrips on the doors, and what miserable stuff to work with). d) JB Weld RTV - this material is also easy to apply, but the rubber trim fit is so tight that cleans off the RTV off of the metal as it is applied, leaving hardly anything behind, so it doesn't stick well. a), b) and c) are still in contention, and I will try to avoid c) if I can.
OK - so we have a clear winner in the weatherstrip adhesive contest. Contestant B - the Super Glue / Cyanoacrylate - has the best adhesion, by far, of rubber to bare steel. It is stuck on to the steel so well in places that I can’t get it off. Contestant C - the 3M Super Black - is next. It is stuck on very well, but I can peel it off with effort. Contestant A - 2-Part Epoxy - is third. It is stuck on adequately, but I can peel it away. This would probably work OK in the intended use just fine, however. Contestant D - JB Weld RTV - is a dud. The weatherstripping just slides right off - almost no adhesion at all. There you have it.

The Super Glue is what I am going with - this is also what Trim-Lok recommends on their website for this weatherstripping. I am going to do this upside down, meaning, I will try to have the channel facing up so I can get a little glue in the channel and have it stay there by gravity, and not run out all over my freshly painted panels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Made some pretty good headway on the vent panels over the weekend ...

I managed to get the new gasket material glued on with Super Glue with only a few glue-glob mishaps. You can see a shiny edge at the bottom of the gasket where the glue line ends; the adhesion is good. I cleaned and buffed the plastic shutter (can't really do much more with that), cleaned and polished the metal tracks, and installed a new chrome handle (Scott Drake repop). Once fully assembled, the slides work just fine:

20200215_152030.jpg 20200215_151922.jpg 20200215_151211.jpg

Next, I moved on to installing my patch plates (recall that I have sections where the panel mounts were cut out for some reason) and mounting the vent panels themselves. The front patch panel installed very easily, but the back one is a very complex shape and took a long time to fit properly (this one has to seal off the entire back of the vent opening). I did my best to use existing screw locations for mounting to minimize the number of new holes that had to be drilled (3)

20200216_143301.jpg 20200216_143449.jpg 20200216_143140.jpg 20200216_143431.jpg

After that, I was able to install the vent slide panels. The fit was pretty good, and the slides work fine. (Note to Geicoman - yes, I did paint the front vent pocket black before installing the exterior vent panel permanently - thanks for the heads up on that):

20200216_164500.jpg 20200216_165505.jpg 20200216_165716.jpg

The last step is the interior sail panel. That needs a little touch-up sanding, filling and a fresh coat of Landau Black, which I will do next weekend. It looks like this will all work out, starting from nothing (none of these parts were on the car when I bought it). Overall, I'd give the effort a B+ for function, and a B for appearance (looks a little amateurish, and the painting isn't perfect).

81 - 92 of 92 Posts