Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65FB has the plug on the tail light housing so what I’m asking should I switch them to the pig tail out of the tail light?
I’m thinking the pig tail is a better piece but wanted to here it from you guys about the repop units.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Both work equally, it's just that if you switch, you'll need to change your wiring as well. I like the pig tails as they bend straight down and aren't snagged as easily when hauling contraband in the trunk. I think both are available, so why not just replace it with the same style and move on (assuming your current harness is in good shape)..

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Instead of buying complete assemblies you could simply buy a socket and solder it in place.....

·
Registered
36,471 Posts
My 65FB has the plug on the tail light housing so what I’m asking should I switch them to the pig tail out of the tail light?
I’m thinking the pig tail is a better piece but wanted to here it from you guys about the repop units.
Are you having a problem or do you just dislike the later style plugs? Normally these work just fine when not damaged. I'm still using my original plugs and taillight housings. So far, so good, but the car only has 400,000 miles on it, so we'll see.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I did not have any Luck with the repop tail light housings if that is what your asking. You are better off doing as Woodchuck said or finding a nice or NOS set of housings. The plug on the tail light works fine, I don't see the need for a plug at the housing and a plug or plugs 3 inches away.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I encountered the same problem as the OP when I installed United Pacific digital tail lights from Summit in my 66. My tail light buckets (bulb housings) were rusted, and the plugs and sockets were bent and corroded. I disassembled the tail lights and converted the stock reflective bulb housings to use conventional Dorman bulb sockets like Woodchuck pictured above. Instead of soldering, I used a step bit to enlarge the hole in the center of each reflective housing so the Dorman sockets would fit correctly. After drilling, I bent the tabs on the Dorman sockets for a tight fit. Since I was using digital tail lights, I didn't need the stock housings to be reflective. Instead of buying new housings, I cleaned and and painted the old ones. For wiring, I used bullet connectors to connect the stock harness leads to the Dorman sockets. Sorry I don't have photos, but at this point I'd have to disassemble everything to take them.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m looking to get what ever is better. I need to send my harness out to get check/repaired and could have him change it to pigtail or just leave it as is..I don’t have any good housings so I was going to get them what ever was a better/less problems housing..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts