Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is $125 a fair price for a bare (no center, axles or backing plates) taper tube 9" rear end housing??? I came across one tonight and bought it... I know that these were only used on hi-po cars and Shelby's so there cannot be too many of them. Am I correct that the axles and brakes from my 8" will work with this housing???

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Yes, quite a good price....if you aren't really concerned about originality I would think you can sell it for a bit more and put a 9 inch for free. And yes the axles and brakes from the 8 inch will fit.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Wait....If I buy a 9" rear end housing that is the proper length I can use the axles from my current 8" rear end? Or is that just for the units with necked down tube ends?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is $125 a fair price for a bare (no center, axles or backing plates) taper tube 9" rear end housing??? I came across one tonight and bought it... I know that these were only used on hi-po cars and Shelby's so there cannot be too many of them. Am I correct that the axles and brakes from my 8" will work with this housing???

If it's a legit one out of a 65-66 hipo or shelby it is an absolute steal. To give you an idea, I sold an original bare housing for $2200 about 3 years ago(maybe longer).This was before exact copies were readily available, now I'd be lucky to get half of that for it. Tha said it could also be possible that you bought a housing out of a granada ,etc. They had neckdown tubes,etc.If thats the case you paid about market value.Do you have a way to post photos of the back center area of the housing?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Insane price. Wish I could have found it! :) ( I store my car west of Cleveland.)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings F15Falcon,

I was wondering who else was building those housings. Did my first one quite a while ago to help out a fellow restoring a 65 HiPo. Used the centre section from a 64 Galaxie. The supply of 8 inch housings of the correct vintage has pretty much dried up here, so haven't done one for a few years.

Don

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well unfortunately the housing turned out to not be what it was advertised as. the person confused the housing he had which was from a early bronco with the one he has from a 71-73 mustang which had minor necking on the tube ends... he apologized for the error and atleast I am not out any money... thought for once I may have gotten lucky on a purchase...

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
I build those housings using 8" axle tubes on a 9" center section, you can't tell the difference.
If you use the correct center section, true. However, the folks I know who do that charge like $800 last I knew, because it requires a special alignment tool and TWO donor housings, one 8" and one 9".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts