Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Isn't it so that the spindle is the same for disc and drum applications in V8 cars in 65-66.

What is the pricing for a decent set?

I have heard that there are plans for thicker spindles with 65-66 steering geometry but I need them now. And no, 70-> spindle is not a working solution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, the spindles are the same. Don't know about pricing though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
No it is not correct, the 65/6 drum spindles are different the disc spindles. The drum spindles do not have the attaching points for the brake calipers,
Phil

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
This is incorrect, the spindle is the same for the V8 models. The 6 cylinder drum spindles are different.

I've seen these go for as low as $40.

here is a set on ebay that includes the disc brake caliper mounting piece, that might be worth looking at if you need the mounting piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66-67-...598153850QQrdZ1

John Harvey

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
65/66 6 cyl: Unique spindles, will not work with V8
65/66 V8: Minor differences in 65 and 66, can be interchanged without any problems, disk brake and non disk brake are the same.
67 V8: Disk brake and non disk brake interchange, but does not interchange with 65/66 and will not interchange with 68 disk brake. Similar set up to 65/66, shares interchangeable calipers (with correct cross over tubes) and rotors.
68 V8: Disk brake spindles are unique, have a special cast in boss for the disk brake parts. All parts basicially are different that 65 - 67. (Single piston application).

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have 67-> spindle because the tie rod hole is larger than 65-66. The caliper is four piston type. But I haven't measured the steering arm so that I could verify that it is not 65-66 that is reamed out or something. I wonder if there is any number to identify the year.

Secondly, sorry, I didn't quite get it, did 65-66 have a separate mounting plate between spindle and caliber and 67 an integral mounting surface?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts