Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the repro frames? I'm thinking of buying a set and noticed there are at least 2 parts suppliers. Do they fit properly? Is the chrome going to last? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Good question. They are expensive. But, who wants pitted up old vent frames.

I rebuilt mine last year and it was so much work. I would do it again, but I had extra parts from other vent frames. All the right tools too, helps. I wouldn't try it without.

So, if you want to skip the big time nuisance, buy new repros!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I did mine and I'm happy I did, But like Mustmatt said it is more work, time and money in my case I had the frames re chromed. The only thing I had a problem with is the two rivets at the bottom of the frame no one makes them. I used blind (looks like a rivet) 6/32 I think its called a truss screw.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I did mine and I'm happy I did, But like Mustmatt said it is more work, time and money in my case I had the frames re chromed. The only thing I had a problem with is the two rivets at the bottom of the frame no one makes them. I used blind (looks like a rivet) 6/32 I think its called a truss screw.

Have a pic of that screw you used? And what was the cost of the re chrome?
Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know it looks like a screw but it has a flatter head and if the head is too tall you take some with a file. I forget what the price was on the re- chrome and my bill was a total of everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thanks, I have a few extra frames so I'll pick the best and send them out.
Do you have address and name of the business you used?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Good question. They are expensive. But, who wants pitted up old vent frames.

I rebuilt mine last year and it was so much work. I would do it again, but I had extra parts from other vent frames. All the right tools too, helps. I wouldn't try it without.

So, if you want to skip the big time nuisance, buy new repros!
Haven't even looked at mine since I took them off over 5 years ago, will have to dig them out and check all the rubbers. What tools are required if I may ask?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I used Librandi's 93 Airport Drive Middletown, Pa. 17057 717-944-3015 They do excellent work and you can call for a price.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's always better to have clean Originals re-chromed....

With the Repros...The chrome is so thin that it rubs right off...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
409 Posts
This is for the top rubber seal that is riveted on. Drill, hand tools and a piece of round stock with tape on the end to hold the nice side of the rivet. They give a the tool to set the rivet. Time & Patience!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Haven't even looked at mine since I took them off over 5 years ago, will have to dig them out and check all the rubbers. What tools are required if I may ask?
Hey Brian. Check out page 11 on my build thread. Lots of pics and one of them shows a tool I got from Scott Drake that worked good.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"spacecost plating 321 254 2880 web site spacecoast-plating .com 975 Aurora rd Melbourne fl 32935"

Yep Hugh...

They are right in my hometown...right up the road from me..

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Back around 2004 I decided to have both my vent windows & rear 1/4 windows re-chromed. Had seem ads on the TV show with Dennis Gage for PAUL'S Chrome in PA.
I used them and was very happy. Just wasn't keen on the repro's then.
Once they received your parts, they etch your initials on each part in hidden area.
They email you back with pics of everything you sent them to verify.
Once you give ok, was about 2-3 weeks.
Attention to detail was impressive. All the dips & valley's can still be seem as designed. Not filled over like some re-chrome jobs I've seem. My parts were perfect.
Cost IIRC was $150 ea for vent windows, rear 1/4 was $175 ea. (My prices correct, not sure which was which, LOL)

PAUL'S Chrome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts