Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 65-66 clutch pedal shorter than the 67-68 pedal? I was told many years ago that they were interchangeable with a few minor mods. However, I have in my possession what I believe is a 65-66 pedal and it is significantly shorter than my 68 power brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
The pedals are different, but not for the reason you list.

The 68 power brake pedal mounts in the upper small hole on the 67 68 carrier. The clutch pedal, power or no power, mounts in the lower hole, so the clutch pedal has to be shorter than the brake pedal.

What is different is the rebound stop. The 65 66 used a bolt on bumper, so the pedal had an in line metal stop to contact it. The 67 68 used a rubber bumper that fit in a small hole in the carrier, so the clutch pedal had a folded over metal part to contact it. Look at some pics on line of a "normal" non power brake pedal for 67 68, and you will see how much longer the power brake pedal is above the rod point.

Also look at 65 66 vs 67 58 clutch pedal at the part of the pedal that contacts the rebound bumper.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I can supply pics if you need. I just got through modifying a 67 setup to work in my 65 so I have both sets close by.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts