Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sacramento-mustang.com/images/sm_exh9430hipo.jpg

My question is about many venders offering repop's of the good 'ol cast iron manifolds. OK so I have not looked at EVERY venders manifolds, :: but the ones that I have all list the same part for the 65-66 and the 67. I thought that the left side manifold was a little different on the 67 (the right side was still the same). I have a set on my 67 and it is VERY close to the Z bar. What I would really like to see is a side by side pic of a 65-66 and 67 manifold (assuming that I am right and they are different). My next step will be to try the Trade/Free parts forum. My manifolds are original and not repops. Go with headers you say? Maybe again someday :: TIA fd

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I don't know about differences in the left manifold but z-bars in HiPo Mustangs are shaped differently from z-bars in A-code Mustangs. The differences being to accommodate the HiPo manifolds. I have an A-code '65, use Hooker Comp headers and use the A-code z-bar (on 5.0L engine with pivot adapter). The fit is tight but quite acceptable, no dents in headers were needed. The only point of contention was the engine pivot to header clearance. Some metal was ground off the California Pony Cars pivot adapter to clear the headers. I did consider using the HiPo reproduction manifolds but couldn't validate the fit before purchase. I asked the local Mustang parts shop for a loan of the left manifold so I could do a trial fit but they refused saying, "You purchase and if they don't fit bring them back!" I didn't want to spend the dollars for something that might work. Hookers guaranteed they'd fit or my money back.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have not done a side by side, but I do know that the 67's had releifs milled out for the air injectors, regarless of whether it was put on a thermactor car or not. I also intend on using the repro Hipo manifolds on my 67 vert. I know the actual 67 pieces are very hard to come by.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
And for you young Concours judges out there, some Early 67's, still had the earlier part number on it. Ah, like my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts