Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the set screws can be purchased separately? If not, what size and is this something I could find at a hardware store or is it a special type. If it can't be purchased from a Mustang site, then I guess I have to take the handle to a hardware store and see what might fit.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
It's just a standard set screw.
Original Ford # was 374985-S AMK says it's 3/8-16, 3/16" length.
My memory is it takes a 3/32 allen wrench to drive it.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
I don't know anything about that particular set screw, but 3/8 is a pretty large set screw. Maybe a #8?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone know if the set screws can be purchased separately? If not, what size and is this something I could find at a hardware store or is it a special type. If it can't be purchased from a Mustang site, then I guess I have to take the handle to a hardware store and see what might fit.
Any set screw should be readily available at a hardware store.
U can take the "T" handle with U to see what fits or thread a regular screw into it to get the correct size and thread count, then take the correct screw to the hardware store and match it to a correct set screw.
It's probably a 10-32, but could be a 1/4-20 and select a length by the debth of the threaded hole in the "T" handle. 🙂

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Yeah. I'm not going to stand behind anything AMK says. That's what's in his book. I HAVE found utter BS in his book before.....

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Sorry about that. Here's the correct info, straigh out of the Master Parts Catalog-
374985-S is actually 10-32 x 3/16" long.....
(the 3/32 allen wrench does fit it, I just checked)

Reactions: 65coupei6_2

·
Registered
398 Posts
If your T-handle is stripped, then the next size up is M4. Mine was stripped and an M4 tap ran through with no additional drilling necessary.

Reactions: btyson67
1 - 9 of 9 Posts