Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone besides me noticed that there seem to be a lot less 65-68 Fastback projects for sale on all sites including Ebay and Craig's list?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've noticed it too. I bought my 68 FB exactly 1 year ago, and that was after looking for nearly two years! The 67/68's are getting even harder to find than the 65/66's. And the prices are crazy high. Somebody posted here that found a real clean 67 FB for 14k and posted a video of it. That guy totally scored on that purchase.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Well, they are out there.

I bought a 1965 A code GT fastback, 4 speed car, no engine/trans, for $500 yesterday.

If you look up rust, it's picture is there, but it has the original disc brakes intact, the fiberglass, fold down, pedals, wiring, cluster, side louvers, stainless, etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
On my local Craigslist there arent many vintage Mustangs at all, let alone any fastbacks. Only thing fastback related is an ad where someone is looking for any 65 to 68 fastbacks in any condition.

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
I just saw a 67 shell for $8k that needs a radiator support and doors looks like.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Search tempest, nationwide search. Find the deal first, only then decide if it’s too far.

What if the Perfect car is just outside your search area?!

·
Registered
480 Posts
67-68 fastback depletion = everyone and their great great grandfather bought them up and converted then to Eleanors...

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
I remember seeing a 68 Fastback before Gone in 60 Seconds came out for 10k in 1999. It was black on black 4 spd, 302, paint job was nice but not perfect. I almost bought it but was working on my 67 and didn't want 2 projects. I should have bought it and it would have been worth another 5k just a year later or more now. One of my Mustang regrets. But I have noticed the lack of cars and now even the coupes around here are asking crazy prices for them.

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
But I have noticed the lack of cars and now even the coupes around here are asking crazy prices for them.
Asking and getting being two different things. It seems like half the cars are priced way over market value and the other half are pushing it. It likely all works out for less to considerably less when the deals are done, but I have to respect the fact that you don’t get what you don’t ask for.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I saved mine 15 years ago from becoming and Eleanor. The guy had the wheels and the license plate was literally something like “Elleenor”. He wouldn’t let me have the plate but I didn’t want it either.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
1,356 Posts
Sales seem to be out there, but unless you get a barn find, more and more are hitting the restored category. No longer project cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A lot of the cars migrated to facebook marketplace. I was looking for coupes the other day and it seemed like there were at least as many as before and at slightly better prices.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
A lot of them are being shipped to Europe. A local muscle car shop sells quite a few cars to overseas customers.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know there are a lot of restored and/or original complete cars out there...but projects (good and bad) are hard to find....I'm guessing it's just a supply thing.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
I for sure see a lot fewer half done projects. Seems 5-10 years ago they were just as many of those as untouched project cars. Either people have more realistic cost expectations or they get to the "I'm gonna finish it not matter what or how long it takes" attitude.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I for sure see a lot fewer half done projects. Seems 5-10 years ago they were just as many of those as untouched project cars. Either people have more realistic cost expectations or they get to the "I'm gonna finish it not matter what or how long it takes" attitude.
The problem, to quote my mechanic, is that the last 10% is done in a hurry and sloppy. I made sure the body of my car was perfect before I purchased it. But half the screws holding in my interior were either missing or not tightened. Quite a few things were done in a "get it done" way. When you can't drive a car before purchase (at an auction) you take your chances so you check what you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts