Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues keeping my 65 running. It starts fine and catches a good idle while parked, but after driving it abruptly stalls without warning and has a hard time starting up again. After my recent breakdown I noticed the ALT light flickers. I have recently replaced the Voltage Reg and Starter Solenoid with quality parts recommended by users on this forum. I also replaces the Alternator about 6 months ago. What am I missing?

·
Registered
34,155 Posts
Loose connection somewhere? Power feeds, grounds.... some intermittent loss of power. Could be ignition switch, wiring harness, firewall plug, etc. These are tough to isolate and many times you need to "improvise" to find the culprit. My suggestion would be to find a cheap buzzer and, using some alligator clips and paper clips, use it to probe different wires while you "tug" in different places to see if you can make the buzzer skip a beat...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Make sure your ground wire from the engine to the negative battery terminal is clean and tight and also the one from the engine to the firewall.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
Maybe your engine dieing issue is carb/choke related and not an electrical problem at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You could put a multimeter on the battery while it is running and watch for voltage drops to make sure it's electrical. Sounds like while driving it either gets hot enough to have a short or bumps cause a misconnection.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Loose or corroded-"high resistance" wire.
It is normal for it to flicker as the RPM drops too low, as in when its dying.. If the engine is stumbling and about to die then it flickers it is an indication and correlation not a causation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts