Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'65 Alternator Wiring

841 29
I have a yellow wire connected to the STA terminal on the back of the alternator.

Looks like the villainous PO set it up. I added the other wire that runs to the choke [on the SUM MV2008].

Going to a MC solid state voltage regulator causes the ALT light to flicker.

Any troublshooting help would be appreciated.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Rim Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system

Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
45,030 Posts
Not the point. 66-up all had the internal cap. But not 65. His new wire will have the plug. Any radio-equipped 65 would have the cap. If he has a replacement alternator, sure, it'll be sure to have the internal cap, but it would cause no harm to have the external cap, too.
True dat. I did notice, in a photo, that he had a Motorcraft case so....

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@22GT correct. New harness has a plug for it but I’ve not put in the capacitor-at the alternator nor at the VR.

Alternator is a replacement (has Motorcraft embossed on the back).

I notice you are missing the static suppression condenser. They are available in nice repro. That's a 65-only item. The new harness should have a plug for it.

· Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good morning.

So new Motorcraft branded VR = flashing ALT light on dash
Old mechanical VR = NO flashing light on dash

At idle, the volt reading is spastic for both VR's.

Perhaps an alternator problem?

· Registered
45,030 Posts
Shot in the dark.... unplug the IVR (instrument voltage regulator) and tell me what happens. Perhaps the instrument cluster is not properly grounded?

· Registered
45,030 Posts
IVR unplugged = no ALT blinking.
Check your instrument cluster and engine to firewall grounds. The cluster grounds through tabs that contact the 2 lower mounting screws. You might try a dedicated ground wire between the IVR mounting screw and the metal dash structure. Also check the continuity of the ground between the voltage regulator and radiator support.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts