Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic gear on my original radio is partially worn not allowing the knob to move smoothly across the dial. I know that Hurtle_11 says there is no repair for this. It is not that I am questioning him. But it seems that there has to be a repair for this. Any place to get the part? If so can it be fixed by an average person? If not who can fix it? Hopefully someone in GA. I am not sure it is worth sending across the nation. It would just be nice to repair it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The only repair I know of is to replace the worn gear but unfortunately that means you have to get one from another radio. The radios really aren't that cheap to justify this unless you can find one that's really trashed.

Many other FoMoCo radios (but not all) used that gear into the '70s so you may have to look for a radio from a sleeper model (start thinking 70-74 Maverick and maybe something by Mercury). I just popped the cover off of a '70 Maverick radio and it does have the gear but be warned these radios will also fit late '60s Torinos and some people know it and price them accordingly.

More stuff - The gear is only in the Philco radios (5TPZ, 6TPZ Mustang part numbers) so don't just buy any radio to get the gear. Bendix and Motorola also made early Mustang radios. I'm not sure what year Ford went all Philco (Ford bought them) but if you see Philco on the radio face then you have a potential candidate.

As I said before - Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
There was a post awhile back about radio repairs from a GA shop. The post was very flattering towards this outfit.
Auto Audio Service & Resto
1200 Central Ave
East Point, GA 30344
404 762-5350

I think the poster was daniel dykstra
I kept the info for when I need to redo my radio.
Hope it helps.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts