Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
It's been a long time since I've been able to talk Mustangs :)
After a 4 year break, my car is back in it's new home. Life changes meant my 65 had to go live in my cousin's shed for over 4 years. The time wasn't kind to the car. It had less than 100 miles on it after years of work totally redoing the drive train when I parked it. You'd never know it now.
Everything that was exposed rusted. The stroker looks okay, no water in the oil, but the chrome pieces are ruined. The export brace and monte carlo bar need to be sanded and repainted. There was a snake skin wrapped around the driver side shock tower. What was the snake eating? Funny you should ask.
There was a huge mouse party in the trunk, and the entire interior (except the headliner) is trashed. Mice got under the seats, behind the quarters, kick panels, and inside the drivers door. The glove box was a giant mouse nest, and they got into the passenger side rocker panel. I have no idea how to clean that one out. One of the guys on the classic-mustangs mailing list had to cut into his. I guess I'll have to do the same to mine. I haven't taken the heater box out yet but I need to, and I think the original headliner will have to come out.
I have the rest of the interior out, and have been scrubbing for weeks. The car still smells like mouse pee. Any tips would be appreciated! Does that stuff you can buy at Pet Smart work? I need to spray the access holes and inside the doors to try to neutralize all the urine. I've considered just rolling the car out into the driveway and taking the garden hose to it and then sucking all the water that doesn't run through the rust holes inthe floor pans out with a shop vac.
After sitting for so long, the brakes weren't stuck and the tires weren't flat. At least something still works :)

To summarize, any tips on cleaning up after what looks like a few generations of mice would be appreciated. Also, I need to weld in new floor pans. For those who have already done this, where did you source your replacement pans, and would you buy from them again?

Regards,
Damon
65 Coupe
347/C4 sick but back home

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man you must want to cry. I almost did just reading it. I don't know about the stuff at Pet Smart but I had a cat problem once with a rental and the carpet cleaner gave me a jug of something that had Enzimes in it that worked great. Unfortunately it was in a generic jug so I don't know what it was. Does the Pet Smart stuff have Enzimes in it?? If so I would try it. The Enzimes eat the urine not just cover it up.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Welcome back Damon! Glad you hung on to your car. I would try the pet store stuff and ck out odor neutralizers at the hardware store. Floor pans? who ever has them on sale. (fenders hoods and doors are a different story)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I lied about the headliner being good. I still couldn't get all the smell out, and went ahead and pulled the windlace and pried back a bit of headliner. Mouse droppings fell out. That's not what I wanted to see. I had to take the headliner out too. I hated to do that. The headliner and dash pad were still original and in great shape.
It's finally starting to smell better in the car. I've been cleaning/scrubbing when time allows. The good news is, now I can use that headliner that seems to come with all the interior kits from the Mustang vendors.

Regards,
Damon
65 Coupe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts