Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess the correct bulb is 1142 which seems to be hard to find up here in Canada
Can I use another bulb like the 1156 or will that create problems ?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Yeah +1 on LEDs from the web. Choose a good quality Sylvania or something with CREE / COB LEDs or SMD configuration.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You just to check the wattage of the bulb. There is not much room inside a backup light to dissipate the heat but then again a backup light is not on for very long unless your my wife trying to backup. An 1156 is a real common bulb. Its the single filament version of the 1157 that has the turn signal and taillight filament all in one bulb. It was used a lot in cars that had separate taillights and turn-signals. Any auto parts store should be able to get you 1142 bulbs.

eBay has them 2 for $5.49. Its a good idea to replace them both at the same time anyway.

TWO Original GE 1142 Miniature Lamps, 12V 18W S8 New old Stock 43168963091 | eBay

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Some of them have posts 180° apart and some are offset. Compare the posts on the old bulb. They may not fit in the socket.

·
Registered
34,625 Posts
If you want to strip the sockets from the housings and replace with a single pin socket you can run a BA15S bulb, otherwise you'll need a BA15D type. The reason they run that type is so the bulb has a dedicated ground wire.

If you like to build stuff, they have BA15D "adapters" that let you plug in a variety of 2-wire-pin LED's.. the original 1142 bulb produced about 265 lumens so you'll want something equally bright...or brighter. Some suggestions, below:

BA15D "Adapter" GU5.3/G4/GY6.35/GX5.3/GZ4 to BA15 Base Adapter | Super Bright LEDs

LED array.... G4 Boat and RV LED Light Bulb - Bi-Pin LED Disc - 40W Equivalent - 320 Lumens | Super Bright LEDs

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Incandescent might work better for backup lights. I depends on whether you want to see or be seen. I've used good and what seem to be very bright LED signal/brake lights. They are quite visible to other drivers. But they don't seem to light up overhead signs the way incandescents do. As backup lights LEDs look very distinctive even in bright sun. But for backing up in the dark they are almost useless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys
Great call on NAPA I never even thought to check there !
C6ZZGT I'm located in Burlington, Ontario , Just outside Toronto.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I have 6000 Kelvin color LED headlights in my truck, VERY clean color, brighter than stock, aimed well to keep from blinding other drivers and they make road signs, stripes and deer eyes absolutely POP. If I can find some of comparable color etc I will be putting some of those in my reverse lights in all my cars. I'm steadily replacing everything with LED when something burns out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
when I search my local parts stores online they come up empty for "1142 bulb"
do you think these would work ?

That one won't work because there needs to be 2 places to connect on the bottom of the bulb versus the one. I learned the hard way and blew many fuses before I figured it out.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
So I guess the correct bulb is 1142 which seems to be hard to find up here in Canada
Can I use another bulb like the 1156 or will that create problems ?
Amazon.ca has them
Thanks Guys
Great call on NAPA I never even thought to check there !
C6ZZGT I'm located in Burlington, Ontario , Just outside Toronto.
+Aha, just down the road from me. I'm in the Niagara area, Welland to be more precise!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts