Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO had grounded the battery (used red cable) to the water pump where at some point it burnt up and corroded. Not sure how they did not fry the entire system, but its still working.

Anyways. Im going to get new cables and proper ground location. Any suggestions on a new ground location? I have heard of people ground to the alternator, which I have a free location on. I also have some free spots on drivers cylinder head.

Dont need "best" location. Just "good enough" to last a couple months till I can rebuild the engine. I'm try to just prevent battery explosions and frying the entire electrical system at this point. Anything has to be better than the current fire & explosion hazard.

Where is the engine grounding strap typically on these cars? Im going to take a wild guess and say my car probably does not have one.

IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
And the engine block has a ground strap from the back of the passenger side head area to the firewall.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
...and make sure there isn't any paint under the cable end where it's bolted to the block. Also make sure you buy the correct GAUGE cable.... it needs to be as large as the positive cable.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The L6 engine uses the same ground area as said by firstcar66 (engine block right front & right rear head to firewall).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts