Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1965 convertable ,289 drum to drum have upgraded to dics to drum but cant find a power booster,dont have 400 bucks for everybodys kits just need to know what boosters will fit from what car(yr and make):loco:

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Welcome to VMF. You will probably need to provide detailed info about your current disc brake upgrade. Do you still have the single resevoir MC? Was it converted to the disc brake MC? Is your Stang automatic or manual tranny. What disc brakes were put on the front? The booster goes between the MC and the firewall so it's not a simple add on.

The booster alone with no core trade in can cost $250-$290.

·
Registered
2 Posts
65 brakes help

I purchased a Front Disc brake setup for my 65 fastback . The kit went on fairly easy. The probelm is I can't get the brakes to stay hard. The worst part is when I start the car the brakes go to the floor like nothing is there . Help has any one experienced this problem ???? :shrug:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried some places locally but the problem is nothing of quality any where. i would up spending the money and got a kit from sMustang plus.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
1965 convertable ,289 drum to drum have upgraded to dics to drum but cant find a power booster,dont have 400 bucks for everybodys kits just need to know what boosters will fit from what car(yr and make):loco:
Nothing. The only thing that fits without extensive modification is the OE style booster, with the leverage reducing linkage. But of course, that's the $395 unit you'd like to avoid.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Were the brakes good/firm before you changed to front discs? What front discs? Different MC? Proportioning valve? A power booster wouldn't fix the pedal problem but confuse the issue. Why do you want a booster?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1965 auto, convertable upgrade to granada front dics,power steering ,was none power drum to drum,289, 4 barrel and just really confused at this point went to buy a power booster(freind absolutely swore by)and lucky notice wrong size bolt holes and now hear this and that (read this and that) just lost now

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Don't know anything about the conversion to Granada disc set up except to say the Granadas were standard power disc brakes.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
1965 auto, convertable upgrade to granada front dics,power steering ,was none power drum to drum,289, 4 barrel and just really confused at this point went to buy a power booster(freind absolutely swore by)and lucky notice wrong size bolt holes and now hear this and that (read this and that) just lost now
$289.90 buys you a SSBC Bolt on Booster/Master for Front Disc Rear Drum.

Residuals for the rear as well.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The choice depends on if your car has a manual or automatic transmission. CSRP, a forum sponsor, offers a kit for automatic transmission cars for $199+ S&H. Note that this kit has the correct semi-gloss finish, uses a Ford spec master cylinder (not one modified to fit a GM spec booster's master cylinder mount stud spread), and a correctly configured pushrod. BTW, be careful when accepting advise from this thread since everyone who has posted a picture or link (including myself) are parts vendors, or associated with one.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
The choice depends on if your car has a manual or automatic transmission. CSRP, a forum sponsor, offers a kit for automatic transmission cars…
Nice-looking unit. Is there also a version that works with stock clutch linkage?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey there, sorry to hear about your struggle putting a system togethor. Might wanna look at a place in tampa called mannatee mustang. I met that guy at a car show a few days ago and he offers a complete conversion for 699. that included booster, mc, rotors, calipers, brake pedal, and all the rest of the hardwear to make the drum to disc swap (front). I bet he would sell you just the booster and mc.

For what its worth, im no vendor and dont even really no any-just met this fellow at a car meet! :) Im just sympathetic as I too am trying to figure alot of this out as I go...cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts