Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed the new brake drums from Praise Dyno Brake. They sent these to me gratis to substitute for the wrong front drums sent out after overlooking a Ford mid-year part change. What a difference these new drums make. The braking went up about 70 percent. I no longer have to put the car in neutral in order to stop it. However, the pedal is almost buried in the carpet in order to stop the car. Does this mean that the rear brakes need adjusting (shoes spaced out towards the drum), or that I need to swap from the 67 master cylinder rod back to the 65 master cylinder rod, or both? Sure do like stopping, but don't like the feeling of having no more room to push down the pedal. I have bled the master cylinder and brake lines and the pedal does not go up with "pumping" the brakes.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Check all the adjusters first. The front auto adjusters may not be working. I've found it's quite easy to pop the adjusters out without otherwise disassembling the brakes. Take the adjusters off, make sure they turn freely, clean them up, coat them with a VERY THIN layer of either wheel bearing grease or spray silicone, then reassemble, and adjust manually.

I bet if you do that the pedal will be rock hard, and right at the top of the travel. A little bit of adjusting makes a HUGE differerence.

BTW, if you pump the brakes, does the pedal come up?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I pump the brake pedal, it makes no difference in the pedal height. So, it is not air in the lines. Every component in the system is new - new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes, new adjusters, new hardware, new bearings, net drums, net lines, new flex hoses. I lightly greased the adjusters with white lithium grease. I manually adjusted the fronts to the point that the shoes are just beginnign to drag on the drum as I rotate the tire by hand. I think I need to re-test the rears for adjustment. Yes, I put the short primary shoes on the front side of the backing plate. The shoes were labelled from the factory as "primary" and the directions said to put them on the front side of the backing plate. My ace in the hole is changing the master cylinder to brake pedal rod back to the 65 rod.

Thanks for your comments and advice. I will certainly check the rear adjusters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts