Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a new transmission installed in my '65 289 about one year ago. Recently (last 3 months), usually in the mornings before the car has warmed up, when traveling at 50-60, the car will start shaking a bit, with some slight "thumping" sounds like when a u-joint goes out (but it's not the u-joint) or unbalanced tires (but mine are balanced), the car wont accelerate normally (very sluggish), but can then continue driving at 30-40 ok. Today, the same thing happened, then I smelled transmission fluid (not very strong), then after continuing at 30-40 for 5-10 minutes, everything was fine, even at 50-60 mph - no shaking, great acceleration, no smells. Thoughts of what could be going on?

One more issue: While I can definitely feel/notice the car go from 1st to 2nd gear, I cannot tell if it actually goes from 2-3. The tach never gets above 1K so it doesn't seem like it's stuck in 2nd, even at 50-60.

Looking forward to any diagnosis out there. And thanks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Have you checked that the fluid isn't low? Sounds simple, but that is the solution to a lot of weird shifting problems.

Also, since it's a 65, when you put it in gear are you using the green dot or the other dot? I believe you need to run in the green dot, not the tiny white one to get all three gears. I have a 67 so no silly dots for me, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I got that backwards. All assuming your new transmission has the right shift setup for a 65 Mustang of course.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's in the green (1-2-3) dot v. the other (2-3). Will check fluid again to confirm but it was full last time I checked (while running). Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts