Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 with a c4 and was wondering what shift kit I can put in it, and where to find one.

Also can I convert it so I can shift manually through all the gears? and where would i get that?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
670 Posts
Any hot rod book sells B&M kits.Summit has them also.BUT.....you may just need a 4 or 5 speed to get what you want.A shift kit is NOT forgiving.It shifts the same way NO MATTER WHAT.So at lower speed it still hits hard.Tough on an old trans.Makes a new trans life shorter let alone what it does to your rear end and u-joints.The right modulator adjustment and proper kick down linkage can achive GREAT results.It just take the right person to do it and trial and error to get what you want.THANKS SCOTT 936-756-2535

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
TransGo makes a C4 shift kit for '67 and later C4 valve bodies. See http://www.txchange.com/tgp.htm Reason you need a '67 valve body in your '65 C4 is the '67 has tougher selector and is more adaptable to performance enhancement. You'll need the shift kitted '67 valve body to refit into your '65 tranny.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yes, they make shift kits for a '65/'66 "greendot". You need to get one specific to those years, though and not for the later years.

To be able to manually shift your tranny like you normally think of shifting an automatic, you'll need to change out the valve body to a '67/later valve body.

You CAN manuall shift a '65/'66 "greendot", though. To do it, you start with the shifter in "L". This will hold the tranny in 1st. When you're ready for 2nd, shift the tranny to "green dot". Let the RPM's build just a bit, and pull the shifter back to "L". This will now hold the tranny in 2nd gear until you're ready for 3rd, at which time you'll just shift to "green dot" again. It takes some getting used to, especially drag racing, but it becomes second nature after a while.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That is completely untrue. The worst thing in the world (aside from heat) for an automatic transmission is the slippage that occurs during shifting. This slippage is to make the drive more comfortable for passengers at the expense of transmission wear. Any shift kit will EXTEND the life of the transmission, not hurt it. The reason is that the shift happen faster, eliminating much of the slippage.

Also, you can get all kinds of different shift kits. I have the B&M Transpak shift kit in the AOD in my '66. You don't even feel it shift if I'm driving it gentle. You will DEFINATELY feel it shift, though, when I'm shifting it at 6k RPM's at the track.

That being said, though, I recommend the TransGo kits over the B&M ones. I'm not all that impressed with my B&M kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts