Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non A/C console and just discovered the light for the storage compartment tucked up under the dash. The light comes on when I pull the light control to the first position, is this correct ?
I thought that it should come on with the "courtesy lights" ?
If not it would be on when ever the headlights are on ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The wiring diagram for the '66 shows those lights connected to the same black/blue stripe and green-yellow stripe wiring as the courtesy lights (doors and under dash). I'm thinking yours might be connected to the blue-red wiring for the instrument panel lights.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's connected to the courtesy light circuit but I'm thinking the storage compartment light only comes on when the circuit is hot and when the door is lifted it shorts the light to ground causing it to come on.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I think Jedi is correct- it's tied in along with a ground wire from the console such that the light comes on when the console door is opened.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
That's right. There is a little copper tang of the bulb socket that touches the top edge of the console when opened and there is a wire straight to ground.

·
Registered
34,719 Posts
The 66 console glove box light, in the top of the box, is wired "on". The socket has a tab on it that touches the glove box door when it is opened, grounding the light.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it was connected the wrong way.
I don't think I can connect it so the door operates the light as the console is an aftermarket one with the hole for the bulb on the back plate.

·
Registered
34,719 Posts
I figured it was connected the wrong way.
I don't think I can connect it so the door operates the light as the console is an aftermarket one with the hole for the bulb on the back plate.
That would be the early 65 type, which operated with the courtesy light. This is a later application, so the hole is on the wrong side, but you get the idea. A drill could fix it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
NPD has that it's called a Console Glove Box Light Contact 14A324-1A $10.95.. It's thinner then the OEM one is and it's easy to break one of the tabs. But it works nice.
That light comes on any time you open that console door just like the glove box.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just bought ANOTHER one. Can confirm those little tabs are fragile. I highly recommend gluing it to the top of the compartment and using two hands to push in the bulb while pushing up on the tab. Works great when set up though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts