Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK 2nd post here I posted last night about if I should buy this Mustang, I bought it today and had a question about the door tag and VIN the vin is 5F08A526201
door tag is
Body 76A
Color X
Trim 26
Date 15K
DSO 33
Axle 1
Trans 5

I did the decoder and it says
Dataplate Breakdown:
Body: Convertible, Standard Interior, Bucket Seats
Color: Vintage Burgandy
[Interior] Trim: Black vinyl
Date: 15 of October (1st year)
DSO: Detroit
Axle: 3.00:1
Trans: 4-Speed Manual

VIN (Warrenty Number) Breakdown:
5 = 1965
F = Dearborn, MI
08 = Convertible
A = 289-4v
526201 = Consecutive unit number #526201

Would this car be a 65 or would it be considered a 64 1/2? I am new to Mustangs and just want to make sure what I really have

Thanks for any info

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Also the 64 1/2 289 4V was D code. See my sig pic. Had generator rather than alternater and other differences. Welcome to VMF. Enjoy your convertible.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
By the wey FYI the current model year production normally starts in August or September of the previous calender year.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Thanks that is what I thought but the build date made me wonder when is says 1st year
Ford considered all Mustangs built from April 1964 until August 1965 to be "1965" models, and it said so on the title. Since that was more than 12 months, Ford had to code them first or second year, so the month codes wouldn't be confusing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will add pictures when I get it to the house I took a few of it today but it has about 20 years of crap piled on it when you first walk in the barn you wouldn't even know it was there

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
OH NO!!! B-A-R-N ??? sounds like when he clears the car car off and checks the fender apron stamps, it's gonna be $ 10000013

·
Registered
962 Posts
The "64-1/2" production was from April 64 to the around the first of August 64, that's when the 1/2 specific parts were used in production. (generator, engine codes, etc.) I have a 65 vert built on Aug. 27th. of 64 that has a couple of 1/2" items on it, so I'm guessing there was some carry over of parts.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
OK 2nd post here I posted last night about if I should buy this Mustang, I bought it today and had a question about the door tag and VIN the vin is 5F08A526201
door tag is
Body 76A
Color X
Trim 26
Date 15K
DSO 33
Axle 1
Trans 5

I did the decoder and it says
Dataplate Breakdown:
Body: Convertible, Standard Interior, Bucket Seats
Color: Vintage Burgandy
[Interior] Trim: Black vinyl
Date: 15 of October (1st year)
DSO: Detroit
Axle: 3.00:1
Trans: 4-Speed Manual

VIN (Warrenty Number) Breakdown:
5 = 1965
F = Dearborn, MI
08 = Convertible
A = 289-4v
526201 = Consecutive unit number #526201

Would this car be a 65 or would it be considered a 64 1/2? I am new to Mustangs and just want to make sure what I really have

Thanks for any info
Hi,
I can only add...Welcome new guy!
You'll find a lot of helpful characters here.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
The "64-1/2" production was from April 64 to the around the first of August 64, that's when the 1/2 specific parts were used in production. (generator, engine codes, etc.) I have a 65 vert built on Aug. 27th. of 64 that has a couple of 1/2" items on it, so I'm guessing there was some carry over of parts.
Yeah, the change from generator to alternator was a pretty firm change, and to the smaller horns that didn't require a relay. Other things, such as the carpeting, wiper arms, taillight wiring, heater, were really "running changes", and had nothing to do with any 64/65 difference. There were all sorts of such changes in other years, yet you don't see people talking about "67 1/2" Mustangs.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Hi,

In reference to the "1/2" in 64 1/2, could it be, since the Mustang was introduced 5-6 months, or so, beyond, what was considered in those days as a fall introduction for body new styles, that it became known as a 1/2?
I think we all know this became a legendary title only. I used to love the fall season, if only, for this reason.
Now days, new models are introduced around the clock it seems.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi,

In reference to the "1/2" in 64 1/2, could it be, since the Mustang was introduced 5-6 months, or so, beyond, what was considered in those days as a fall introduction for body new styles, that it became known as a 1/2?
I think we all know this became a legendary title only. I used to love the fall season, if only, for this reason.
Now days, new models are introduced around the clock it seems.
True, and how many of them are called 1/2s?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
True, and how many of them are called 1/2s?
Hey,
You know, don't you think that would be an interesting question to ask?
Hmmmm? I'm sure there are more whether American or foreign.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts