Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO of my 65 V8 coupe said there was a Mach 1 rear in it. I finally got around to getting it up on saw horses and decoded the tag.

Says it's a 7 3/4", will an 8" fit in this housing?

It looks like someone run this with the axle u bolts loose and caused these grooves, can this be welded up and smoothed?

As always, I appreciate all responses.

·
Registered
36,572 Posts
That is an 8" rear. You've confused the actual diameter of the ring gear with the differential type.

That housing can be saved by an expert welder. It's almost chafed through, so it'll have to be carefully stitch welded to prevent warping the tube. An axle housing bar would be a great aid for such a job, not many shops have one.

Frankly I'm amazed it got that bad, it would have to be driven for thousands of miles to get that deeply cut.

Is the tie bolt hole in the pad damaged?

Your WCZ-E differential is very common, and not a performance item (2.80:1, open). Your basic 289 2V auto trans differential. Open, of course. I have a 3.00:1 4-pinion Traction-Lok in my car, and I'm only getting away with that because I have a wide-ratio 4-speed.

·
Registered
37,851 Posts
WCZ-E = non-locking (open) 2.80:1 ratio, 7-3/4 inch ring gear, 8-inch carrier/housing, '65-67 Mustang, '67 Cougar, '64-65 Falcon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts