Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nice work. Love the progress on your solid car. It's great that the previous owner kept the original parts. I need to refresh my 65 AC evaporator too. I like your build plan: white TMI interior, rally pac, t5, hydraulic clutch, GT fog lights, 3.25 gearing. All good stuff.
Thank you. I got lucky that the car's history was such that it basically sat untouched for something like 20-25 years before I got it, so it was pretty unmolested. Unfortunately, all of the AC stuff is gone except for the evaporator, but it can all be replaced.

Only change from the plan you listed above was I decided to go with a roller Z bar for simplicity and (hopefully) durability vs a hydraulic setup. I got the Z bar from Opentracker last week.

Reactions: image98

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got the roller pedal kit installed this weekend along with the clutch and brake pedals that I purchased from a forum member. the brake pedal was in great shape, and the clutch pedal was completely usable - some scoring on the pedal itself about 1/3 of the way up (can see in the pics) and some very slight wearing on the shaft, but not enough to cause any play. I'm going to run them as is and possibly replace the clutch pedal at some point in the future if I think it needs it. But for now - another project complete!

For anyone reading this and thinking about the Drake roller pedal kit - my support was in great shape with no wear along the holes, but getting the big snap rings in was a huge pain. I would recommend getting the brake support down to bare metal on both sides just to give yourself as much clearance as possible for those big washers. Now that it's in, it seems super solid and I have no washer movement or play, but it was a bear. One little "mod" I did - my clutch pedal has no hole for a pin to go through like it seems the reproduction pedals too. This would obviously offer more security that the pedal won't pop out, as the clip goes all the way through the shaft. My original pedal that I have just has a ring that a clip goes around (clip on the left in bottom of first pic). I could never get comfortable that ring wasn't going to pop off due to such a tight fit, so after trying a different clip (right one below) and still not feeling great, I instead went into my snap ring kit and found one that fit the pedal shaft and replaced the original clip with a snap ring. It seems much more secure, and I have more peace of mind that it won't fall off. Both pedals roll with no resistance now - that roller kit is a huge upgrade!

Other updates - picked up the T5z (in background of first pic), stock shifter, and T5 bellhousing Friday. The case needs some light cleaning, but everything inside except 5th gear and the main shaft are new. Beyond the Z spec, I went ahead and added a main support plate, bronze shifter bushings, and billet 3-4 keys. I got it from a local who does nothing but build T5s in his shop (he estimates around 400 so far).

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Still working on the project, and gaining some momentum now. I've not updated this because, quite frankly, there's not been much to show. The car has been in Paint Purgatory since Halloween, which is actually fine because my son arrived on 1/6/2020 and has obviously taken over all of our free time! But, I've still been planning, stockpiling parts, and working on small projects as time allows.

Since the last update, I've pretty much completed the engine assembly/dressing (ignore the old AC pulley - it's only there for mock up):

I also spent some time restoring the vent windows with new rubber and a good cleaning/polishing of the glass and chrome. Because the car is a driver, the costs of rechroming or replacing these didn't seem worth it, so they're not 100% but still good for my use:

I also stumbled upon someone nearby who has a '65 coupe with a deluxe white interior (same interior I'm converting to). He's gutting the car to go to a more custom/pro touring look, so I was able to snag some real finds, including a factory PS steering box and setup and correct '65 deluxe gauge cluster. I sold the PS stuff, but am keeping the box to send off the Chockostang for rebuilding and will be replacing my 19:1 manual box with the 16:1 PS box. I also took some time to restore the gauge cluster. I needed a new wiring harness anyway, so now will be converting the car from the standard warning lights to the correct wiring for a '65 with deluxe interior. Finished gauge cluster:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
While the car has been at the shop since the fall, they really just started working on it last week. Luckily, everything is going either as expected or better, which means they're making great progress now that it's rolling. As of right now, most of the significant exterior work has been completed and they're expected to prime/seal the car later this week. Then they'll go over it again to make sure everything is up to standards before hopefully spraying some color in the next few weeks. I know most will notice that the car was not blasted and question why. We blasted the car back in the early 2000s before the current red paint was applied and made sure everything was good then, so I knew there was nothing but solid metal under this one paint job. I gave the shop owner free reign to blast the car again, but after he had some time with it, he said he saw no value in blasting it as the current metal and body work has held up extremely well and there was really no value to be gained in stripping it off and doing it again. Instead, he focused on fixing all the minor blemishes and straightening the panel alignment and gaps, which left something to be desired previously. He has spot blasted areas as needed (cowl lip and drip rails, for instance) and will blast the engine bay, but the car is extremely solid and really didn't need much in terms of restoration work. This is more of a color change than anything. I know some will question that decision, but I know the history of the car since it was blasted last, and I fully agree with the shop owner that there is no real need to duplicate work in this instance. This is a highly reputable shop that has done much more expensive work than this car, so I trust his judgement. Here are a few pics of the current state of the car:

So, that's where we stand right now. The engine bay got blasted this morning, and will be primed along with the rest of the car. The interior floor, firewall, and inner cowl will get primed and sealed with epoxy to protect it, although I doubt this car sees much rain for the rest of it's existence. After the initial priming, they'll go over everything again and we should be seeing color in a few weeks.

Once it's home the fun part of reassembly begins!

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Center console overhaul complete. Painted white, and all new trim pieces with deluxe woodgrain installed. I used Gorilla tape to avoid any glue issues, and very happy I did so. Turned out great and very easy. Before and after pics!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice progress! That console came out very sweet! When do you hope to get it back from paint?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice progress! That console came out very sweet! When do you hope to get it back from paint?
Thank you! I am hoping to get it back in 4-8 weeks. They’re going to take it to have a headliner put in (body shop owner knows a great headliner guy apparently) and front and rear glass after paint, so I’m sure that will take another week or 2 after paint. Hoping to see some color laid on in 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: coupesix

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Who knows if/how long COVID-19 will delay paint, so trying to keep busy with little projects. Got the front buckets reupholstered over the last couple weeks. They are TMI Sport seats, so a little more padding and bolstering than stock but not as aggressive as the Sport II or R. Subtle change that still looks “right” to most eyes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Obviously the virus has slowed things all around, and paint on the coupe is no different. First 2 coats of high build and sanding done, another high build coat and final sand coming up, followed up by a dark sealer/primer and color. Car seems to be coming out very nice...all panels lining up well, and the body man seems to be meticulous. I've already told him quality is more important than time, so he is going slow and making sure he's happy. Current plan is to have the car home by July 4th, assuming all goes well.

Other things not pictured: Got the 16:1 box from Chock, looks great! Also got the T5 bellhousing drilled and Z-bar fulcrum kit installed, so the trans is ready to go. Done some other small miscellaneous work, but honestly at this point I'm just waiting for the car to come back so I can start putting things back together. Should go relatively quickly once it's back form paint.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Car is still in paint (thanks, COVID), but progress continues on small projects where I can. Got the rear seat upholstery done, GT grille assembled, and modified my 2 speed heater box to accept the rheostat switch for my 3 speed heater swap as part of my conversion to a deluxe interior. Other main work (no pictures) was laying out all wiring harnesses on the floor and labeling to hopefully make install easier. Very glad I did, as it helped me visualize how accessories such as Rally Pac, backup lights, and emergency flashers are wired.

New hope/plan is that the car is back by the end of August. Ready to start installing parts!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Paint colors confirmed today - Caspian Blue and white interior. The white was matched to the NPD spray can perfectly. I’m a little jaded, but I think the car will be gorgeous with the Caspian paired with the all white deluxe interior.

The car has been blocked with 600 and we’re down to final assembly before taking it back apart for paint. The lines are looking really, really good to my eye. Hoping only a few weeks now before it’s back home.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts