Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few things about my car have peaked my curiosity as far as learning about it's history.
Can anybody shed some light on these?

1. There are yellow markings on both passenger and driver side frame rails. Is there any way to
find out what they mean? Check out my website for misc pics frame rails and other misc pics.
www.geocities.com/dynastygreen65

2. The drivers side mirror location seems odd. Let me start this one by noting that BOTH doors
have what I think are original markings on them near the hinges. One has an S the other an X.
This leads me to think that doors are original. Now, the driver side mirror is mounted on the side
of the door near the top instead of on top near the window post. Were they ever mounted in
this location? Being that the markings mentioned above seem original, I don't believe the door
has been changed. Was the mirror an option and maybe added later? I pretty sure I'm the second
owner, maybe third. Check out this picture..

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/niirv/vwp?.dir=/1965+Mustang&.src=ph&.dnm=mirror_location.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/niirv/lst%3f%26.dir=/1965%2bMustang%26.src=ph%26.view=t

3. The trim code is D7, which I believe is a '66 code. Seems odd to me.

Here's the data plate info:
5R07C248XXX
65A D D7 23U 75 6 1

Thanks for the help,
Chris

G

·
0 Posts
Chris, My '65 has the remote mirror located above yours and on top of the door next to the 1/4 window frame as you can see in my signature pic of Old Yeller. All I have ever seen have them there as well. Your code indicates a '65, so I would suppose either the doors are from another year, or someone filled in the original location and added the mirror holes on the side.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chris,
On the doors ther should be a date code stamped inside near the top of where the door panel goes, to the right of the door handle. The code would decode as month, day, plant, and shift ie. 6 22 C 2. If the date code on your doors is earlier than your build date by one week to a little over a month then they should be original.
As I understand it the cars were shipped to the dealers without the mirrors and antennas instaled. So the dealer could put them where they wanted. This accounts for the different locations for mirrors.
Your interior code is listed as a 66 and your car is a late 65. It is possible that Ford started using 66 colors early. I know that they did this with exterior colors.

G

·
0 Posts
The yellow markings look original. You should take pictures and measurements to duplicate them during your restoration.

Your doors look original to me, I don't understand why others jump to conclusions. Usually, the mirrors were dealer installed. I have seen plenty of '65's with strange mirror locations, and some with other car line mirrors. As mentioned in the other post, it would be quite easy to determine if your doors are original by the sheetmetal date stamps. There will be a date for the inner piece and the outer piece. Should be within a few weeks of the build date of the car. If you have your original doorplate as I assume from you giving us all the info, I'd lean towards your doors being original.

As far as putting the mirrors back like they were... it's your decision. It's interesting that your car came that way, but you will get a lot of people asking why "you" put the mirror there. So, as long as you don't mind explaining the mirror location, put it back like it was. Otherwise, put the mirror where it normally was.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I uncovered the date stamps and here's what I found. Driver side says 6 29 3B, passenger side says 6 30 3B. I guess this would mean they are original. The B puzzles me though, as I don't see that option as a plant code in the book.
Here are the pics as well as other pics of markings I've found.....
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/dynastygreen65/lst?.dir=/65_markings&.view=t

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts