Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody!!!

The first time I saw a 1966 Ford Mustang was in a french TV show in 1986. It was the first emotional shock in my life. I told myself: "when I grow up, I want to drive that car".
I moved to the US in August 2014, from France. I was getting closer to the dream!! :smile2:
In May this year I bought a house and in the garage, there was a wonderful 1965 silver blue 289ci V8 coupe. I asked the owner if he was selling the car as well as the house... The answer was Yes!!! :grin2:
The dream came true :grin2::grin2:. Now the real work begins!!
It is in a very good shape and runs perfectly but there is a lot of work to do.
I have ordered restoration books to help me make the jobs in the right order and will probably ask you all for a lot of advice!!!

It is still the original drum brakes with an original power brake single bowl master cylinder that I am probably change first for a power brake double bowl and disk brakes. It also mean changing the wheels and the tires. I think I can do it myself, but would appreciate any suggestion on brakes brands, model,...??

I have a single exhaust line with the standard exhaust manifolds that I would like to replace by a dual line with a H-pipe (for the sound!!!) with a tri-Y exhaust manifold. I might need the help of a professional there. What do you think?

My driver seat window needs manual help to work. I saw some videos that explain how to fix that. I may spend a week-end on it.

What worries me the most for the moment is that I have some rust starting to show on the fender. And it definitively needs a paint!!! Does anyone want to share the address of a trustworthy body work garage?

And there are all the things I have not seen or that will be discovered.

I attached my first pictures, hoping that there will be a lot more!!!

If someone has a good address of a garage in the DFW area that could help it will be most appreciated!!!!

I hope to here back from you soon!!!

Special Thanks to "Varilux" for hosting my pictures (in the right sens)!!! :smile2::wink:

·
VMF Ambassador
6,590 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! You've picked a great place to hang out :)

You should know that to change to power disc/drum brakes, you don't necessarily need to swap out wheels and tires. The stock Kelsey-Hayes disc brakes will clear a stock 14" wheel just fine :) Looks like the car is an automatic, in which case you will have no trouble putting in a booster and dual bowl master cylinder. However, if you have plans to swap it to a manual, you will need to do some "finagling" as the '65/'66 cars have a limited amount of space for a booster and master cylinder PLUS a clutch linkage. I believe that Chockostang is the forum's preferred vendor. NPD would also be a good source, though I'm not sure if they sell a complete thorough kit like Chock does.

You will definitely want to get the exhaust bent by a professional. If you were just going stock dual exhaust you could order that online and put it in yourself, but an H-pipe is usually best tailored to the car. Fortunately, exhaust work is actually pretty cheap and there seem to be a lot of really excellent professionals out there.

I don't live in Dallas so I'll let others do the talking as far as recommended shops :) Good luck with your car and welcome again!

·
Premium Member
11,544 Posts
Welcome to Texas!

First of all you are looking for what we call a "Paint & Body Shop". A "garage" does mechanical work like engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. Varilux surely knows of a reputable paint and body shop in the Dallas area since his car has been damaged twice since he had it painted the Silver Smoke Gray color.

You can buy and install yourself a "dual exhaust kit" that will include everything needed to change your car from single to dual exhaust including Tri-Y headers and H pipe.

As far as disc brakes go, take a leisurely drive down to Marble Falls in the Texas Hill Country and visit with Dennis at CSRP. He can fix you up with a disc brake kit that will fit inside your 14" wheels.
CSRP discbrakeswap Mustang Disc Brake Conversion Kits SWAP1
Unfortunately you just missed the wildflower season which the Hill Country is famous for. But the Highland Lakes (Buchanan, Inks, LBJ, Marble Falls and Travis) are now full for the first time in several years due to the extended drought we just went through.

And enjoy some Texas wine, it's as good or better than French wine! There must be half a dozen wineries within 20 miles of me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Kelly_H!
I am very happy to know that we can keep the original tires!
I really like the style and would like to keep them!
I am not planning on switching to a manual transmission for the moment but I keep your advice preciously!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Awhtx!

Thank you for all the hint&tips!
The trip to Marble Falls seems pretty exciting! I am not sure my Mustang will be able to ride there, I will keep you posted on the decision.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Actually, I work with this fellow- and it is very refreshing to see his enthusiasm for Mustangs!

The car is out in the parking lot today, and you have a GREAT starting point (the body is completely straight, rust free, and just in need of some sanding a fresh coat of paint)! The original interior (including a nice center console) is in the car and just needs to be freshened up. Everything is there- with just a bit of work you are going to have a very, very nice '65! (And Silver Blue is one of my favorite colors.)

I can definitely point you in the right direction for an exhaust shop, and for the brakes, Kelly is correct- you can still get the original K&H setup that went on '65 GT Mustangs (I think I've already mentioned this, but there's a fellow here named "Chockostang" who can get you everything you'll need to do the conversion).

Nice to have another classic Mustang owner here at the office!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts