Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
More progress to share means more work behind me. I painted the engine compartment "under hood black", cut out some rusty metal and got a start on cleaning the underside of oily dirt and such.

I decided to rebuild the front end components including the steering gear box and resurfaced hose seats. I laid the center link and rod ends out on a straight edge before I disassembled and took pictures of ball location, maybe I can get it close when I re-assemble it.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Made a little progress on the 65 orange peel coupe. I've been trying to finish cleaning up the under-body, but I just haven't been in the mood to get covered in road grime so I cut some rusty metal out of the fender-well in prep for a needed patch panel.
While waiting for parts there's never a shortage of things to do, so I thought I might give a go at a badly damaged grill in an attempt to save it. After it is repainted it may not be too noticeable?
I've been rebuilding as much as possible and its been quite fun. Just finished rebuilding the steering gearbox with the help of a tool that I made on the lathe to insert sector shaft bearings.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,818 Posts
How are you repairing the grille? That honeycomb seems to break all apart when it's been damaged. And I see that yours is in that condition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Been busy on the '65, I've rebuilt the heater box and the fresh air plenum, installed new seals in the rear end and repaired the radio opening and rebuilt the K/H disk brakes. The air plenum flapper was rotted and there are none available, but the rod was good so I used it on an aluminum plate with some toolbox liner as the seal, hope it holds up. Once I get the e-coat applied on the rest of the body I'll add the hang on parts and start the adjustments for flush and gap.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts