Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
first time on VMF. my first restomod in progress- 65 Coupe. 289,C4

time to make a decision. I need to decide on a power R&P system; Street only/summer daily driver, fast for fun but no racing,
Choices:
1. Steeroids
2. TCP
3. Randalls rack
anyone using these?- if so I would appreciate your review.
any +/- I need to consider. Im not concerned with the cost- they are all fairly close anyway. I've seen some threads but most are quite old- need some new rec's/opinions/reviews.
please help!!!
thanks

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
A major situation to consider is the increase of space required to make turns. Let's say you want to make a U turn. U-turns at intersevtions are permitted unless marked NO. Imagine! starting the turn and having to back up to correct, as you cannot do it in one swipe. I can barely do a complete u-turn in my 68 which is not R&P yet the 4 driver R&P equipped cars that have/had don't/did not, have that prob. Wonder why the racks for Mustangs have that prob!? maybe a U-turn is extreme, or is it?
Almost ordered a Randall rack and I asked if that was a prob. Was sent back a formula of figures that didn't understand. Later heard that very thing from someone who did buy one.
And have seen others mentioned with the same limitation.

Have you ever had to swerve to avoid a mishap?

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Conversion rack kits have this problem because they borrow
the rack itself from another application. In other words, the
rack being used is not a perfect design "fit" on the Mustang.
If the rack itself were designed taking the vintage Mustang
parameters into mind, you'd have something that would
negotiate U-turns, etc.
Building the custom rack itself for the Mustang takes serious
$'s. That's why you don't see one.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Since I see you have a c4 (won't fit with manual), take a look at a Borgeson conversion. It's not r&p, but it is a clean, relatively easy, power steering. Not for everybody, but I like considering all the alternatives before I make a choice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does anyone have a link for the Borgeson conversion?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The TCP Rack is NOT three times as much. The cost is about $300.00 more than the others. The TCP does not have the turning radius problem. You can use the stock Ford power steering pump.

My son has a TCP on his 69 and it really drives well and turns just like original. It bolted in with no problems at all.

I have a Randals and in order to get it to turn properly I had to spend over $200 on a bump steer kit. In order to get it to steer like power steering I had to order a GM power steering pump, a special bracket and even then it took several adjustments to get it right. I could have bought the TCP and would be several hundred dollars ahead.

The least expensive conversion is the Borgenson. But you won't notice much difference than with the original Ford power steering unit.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The reason why I said 3 times the amount, I emailed TCP and asked about complete kit for my 67 (I cannot remember if I asked about a column too?) and it was over 3K including the pump you have to buy seperately, so maybe closer to 2 times the amount.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Maybe TCP was trying to rip me off, but if it's only 300 or so more, then I would go that way. But reading many posts on here, it seems to be out of budget for most people???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts