Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 Coupe Project

11169 33
I inherited this car almost five years ago when a relative passed away, and have been slowly rebuilding it. At the start I knew nothing about working on cars, so I've been learning as I've gone. She finally started in August last year. I plan on doing a full restofication (no clue how that's spelled, if it's even a word:shrug:), but it will likely take several years. All more fun I guess. :)

The night we brought her home.

One of the front wheels was completely locked up. It took five people to push it into the garage. Was not something I wanted to repeat.

Had to clean out the garage a few weeks later, so I figured I'd wash it for the first time after a decade of being used as a shelf.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after about a year of nothing getting done, I saved up enough money to get the brakes fixed. They needed a nearly 100% rebuild, and it cost about $1500. But hey, no more dragging it out of the garage with the truck.:thumbsup:

The stuck drum, note the broken springs.

New lugs. There were about 4-5 of the original ones missing, so I couldn't put the caps back on the wheels, which came off of, I want to say a Ranchero but I'm not sure.:shrug:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's 5am and I'm not tired. :loco:

The 289 and parts sitting out, waiting to be picked up for rebuilding. We used some of these as partial payment for the build.

During the build. The only pic I could get of the build. :(

Mocked up.

Going in the car. . . for the third time. . . :eek:

Hay it's me :)

Finally in. Haven't needed to pull it again since.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rebuilt alternator

New 3 core brass radiator

Edelbrock 1406

New ProComp HEI Distributor

New fuel pump

And a flex fan

This now is sitting in my girlfriend's closet with a hole blown in it.:shrug: Had a little, problem on the freeway.

Modern starter, too bad the bolts are metric:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Had a custom exhaust setup put in. Not really happy with the work, but for $250 I guess you get what you pay for.:shrug:

My original Throttle setup. In needed to be changed badly. . .

My new custom linkage. Here's where I got the instructions from, How to Make your own Custom Throttle Linkage - FordMuscle

Well this where I'm at now. More pics will be uploaded when I can get back to the restoration. Focusing on getting it running properly now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice job on the project so far! $1500 for drum brakes? That seems really high priced. It looks like a shop did the brakes. Drums are very easy to do and the parts shouldn't cost more than a few hundred. I wonder how a competent mechanic can charge so much in labor for drum brakes.
At the time I didn't know how to do brakes. The entire system needed to be replaced, new drums, lines, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, etc. I was talking with the owner and he said that the quote seemed high as well so we went over to the shop and looked it over and agreed that it needed a complete replacement.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Looks like you're working hard on it. From your picture you look pretty young - if so, I was in your shoes once. If I can give one piece of advice, it's to go slow and do it right the first time. Take the time to clean and repaint areas (i.e. undercarriage and engine bay) as you replace parts...its a lot easier doing it at that point than trying to do it years down the road. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you're working hard on it. From your picture you look pretty young - if so, I was in your shoes once. If I can give one piece of advice, it's to go slow and do it right the first time. Take the time to clean and repaint areas (i.e. undercarriage and engine bay) as you replace parts...its a lot easier doing it at that point than trying to do it years down the road. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks, just turned 21 couple of months ago. Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I've already seen what happens when it's not followed. Due to my lack of both knowledge and patience of just trying to get it running, my car has a lot of mechanical problems. Once I get them worked out I hope to be able to do a ground up resto, but I doubt I'll have the knowledge to do it for a while. What little I've learned from working on this just barely scratches the surface of what there is to know. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my rocker arms started to go bad and after looking at prices I found a set of roller tips from Comp Cams that would be cheaper than the stock replacements. So after hassling for a few days (since nothing can ever just be easy for once), managed to get them installed and purring like a kitten. Kinda.:shrug:

The old rockers

Speaking of kittens, my little helper started poking around.

And the new set

·
Registered
114 Posts
Looks great so far, interesting choice of wheels, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4wd that has the same ones, though with different center caps. I had no idea they would bolt right on. Those caps are similar to the ones on my 98 Explorer.

Thanks for the pics and the updates,

roog

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks great so far, interesting choice of wheels, I have a 1993 Ford Ranger 4wd that has the same ones, though with different center caps. I had no idea they would bolt right on. Those caps are similar to the ones on my 98 Explorer.

Thanks for the pics and the updates,

roog
I didn't pick them, it's just what came with it. I've seen a bunch of Fords with them on so I don't know what they came off of really.:shrug: I want to change them, not because I don't like them, but because I can't use the center caps. I'm missing about half of the correct lugs and they'ed go flying off when I'd drive. As it was I had trouble keeping them on when it wasn't moving.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately the project has been mostly stagnant. Haven't had the money to much. I should be getting a decent amount of cash in a few weeks so I can start fixing the problems that have resulted from incompetent shops. If enough's left over I can continue the project then. For now, I'm just making a list of things that need fixing.

Nice job on the project so far! $1500 for drum brakes? That seems really high priced. It looks like a shop did the brakes. Drums are very easy to do and the parts shouldn't cost more than a few hundred. I wonder how a competent mechanic can charge so much in labor for drum brakes.
Hindsight is 20/20. A few months ago one of the brakes started locking up, so I took it back to that shop and found that one of the springs had come apart, causing a pad to brake inside the drum. This was only one of many expensive jobs I've had done by them that something has gone wrong with. My dad has been friends with the owner since they were in high school, which makes it all the more disappointing when they make a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The project should be back on in a week or so. I ended up getting some money from my parent's divorce settlement that I'm going to use to fix the car. Just ordered parts from CJ's to convert the broken power steering setup to full manual. I wanted to upgrade to a Borgeson Fully Integrated setup but the budget wouldn't allow it. Two of the parts were on back order so hopefully they'll be here soon.:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.