Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to cut a cowl inspection port in their cowl to repair rust? I'm considering trying to cut a hole big enough to repair any thing I find and still be able to install a removable cover over the hole. Not original obviously but cutting the cowl open isn't something I want to get into.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cut holes in both ends of the cowl wher the drain ports are located under the fender. It allowed me to cut and weld in new metal next to the vent duct. I re welded the section I cut for access. Nothing is visible now. Sorry no pics as there were no digital cameras back then so I unfortunately did not take many pics of the nitty gritty work I did.
Also I never had leaks there again. It was about 35 years ago.

John

·
Registered
728 Posts
I drilled through the spot welds at the ends of the cowl at the drain ports, cut the front section and was able to open up both sides like a sardine can. used a small wire wheel on a 1/4" threaded rod to clean up all surface rust, sprayed in rust encapsolator, then some undercoat. closed back the sides, welded back up, and opened the drain ports. This was from an article on an early hot rod/ ford and mustangs magazine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I drilled through the spot welds at the ends of the cowl at the drain ports, cut the front section and was able to open up both sides like a sardine can. used a small wire wheel on a 1/4" threaded rod to clean up all surface rust, sprayed in rust encapsolator, then some undercoat. closed back the sides, welded back up, and opened the drain ports. This was from an article on an early hot rod/ ford and mustangs magazine.
Is that similar to this?

P

·
0 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to cut a cowl inspection port in their cowl to repair rust? I'm considering trying to cut a hole big enough to repair any thing I find and still be able to install a removable cover over the hole. Not original obviously but cutting the cowl open isn't something I want to get into.
This has been done a million and one times. Do a google search, zillions of info.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't do Google but I did several internet searches and searched the old threads on VMF but didn't find anything useful. The video msh-r included was helpful and something I might try if the patch job I did doesn't work. Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
The largest, easiest, and best inspection is on your back looking up behind the dash (bottom of cowl) with a light IMO.

:cheers:

·
Registered
762 Posts
I don't do Google but I did several internet searches and searched the old threads on VMF but didn't find anything useful. The video msh-r included was helpful and something I might try if the patch job I did doesn't work. Thanks for the input.
Your question was a good one and I agree that it's ALWAYS OK to ask the question... even if somebody asked a similar question years ago. People are innovative and frequently, folks come up with better ways to do a particular project; plus technology evolves, new products and parts hit the market, etc. Nobody should feel bullied into keeping a question to himself/herself. If the cranky old (or even the young) coots (not intended to be an example of age bias here) can't offer something better than "use the search function," they should just ignore the post. The rest of us appreciate the exchange of ideas with an open mind and a desire to learn. This forum is a place for positive and constructive feedback.

P

·
0 Posts
Your question was a good one and I agree that it's ALWAYS OK to ask the question... even if somebody asked a similar question years ago. People are innovative and frequently, folks come up with better ways to do a particular project; plus technology evolves, new products and parts hit the market, etc. Nobody should feel bullied into keeping a question to himself/herself. If the cranky old (or even the young) coots (not intended to be an example of age bias here) can't offer something better than "use the search function," they should just ignore the post. The rest of us appreciate the exchange of ideas with an open mind and a desire to learn. This forum is a place for positive and constructive feedback.
funny thing I found, through PMs to me, that you have this issue with other members here . . funny huh?

P

·
0 Posts
Why wouldn't you Google? I found this in about 3 seconds with a Google image search. Isn't this what you were considering?

P

·
0 Posts
Wow, considering you have been here just a few weeks, what a lot of BS you throw around. An instant know it all :) oh, all in good fun though eh? BTW, I received several PMs about you :) not just one.

P

·
0 Posts
And Les, if you want some real advice and want it plain and simple, PM me as well. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble where everyone can comment.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Wow, considering you have been here just a few weeks, what a lot of BS you throw around. An instant know it all :) oh, all in good fun though eh? BTW, I received several PMs about you :) not just one.
Hey, I'll be the first person to candidly admit that I don't know it all. In fact, that's why I'm here, to learn. This forum is GREAT and I HAVE learned a great deal from a vast majority of very knowledgeable and skilled folks who are generous enough to share what they know without condescending to those of us who may have less experience.

So, you're disclosing publicly that you received "Private" Messages about me? I'm honored to be the subject of your behind the scenes gossip. What's funny is that some folks talk a big game but they don't have the courage to address me themselves... I find that bullies and insecure juvenile personalities are like that.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey Les,
The photo that Pete posted is what you want to do.I do this to every cowl,even if it doesn't leak. I'll do it to clean up ,master series and seal even clean cowls just as insurance.Good Luck.

P

·
0 Posts
Hey Les,
The photo that Pete posted is what you want to do.I do this to every cowl,even if it doesn't leak. I'll do it to clean up ,master series and seal even clean cowls just as insurance.Good Luck.
And considering all work, it's probably only about an hour per side, well worth it.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
This has been done a million and one times. Do a google search, zillions of info.
Pete makes a valid point. There are ton of threads with pictures/details of the "window" cutting, more so than this thread may generate.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and "just ignore the post" if you don't like it rather than go on etiquette rants directed at particular individuals. I don't expect the forum to change for you because you want everyone else to communicate like Mary Poppins, nor would I want it to...This is a vintage Mustang Forum after all, not KnittingHelp.com Forum where you would clearly fit right in :lol:

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Hey Les,
Hijacking for a question off of Pete's photo also, can you get to the, let's say, back side of the top hat to make sure it's painted/sealed well?

Allen

·
Registered
762 Posts
Pete makes a valid point. There are ton of threads with pictures/details of the "window" cutting, more so than this thread may generate.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and "just ignore the post" if you don't like it rather than go on etiquette rants directed at particular individuals. I don't expect the forum to change for you because you want everyone else to communicate like Mary Poppins, nor would I want it to...This is a vintage Mustang Forum after all, not KnittingHelp.com Forum where you would clearly fit right in :lol:

There we go! There's the other member of the sewing/gossip circle. By the way, my offer to buy you a beer and to hold a civilized discussion is still out there unanswered. I assumed that you didn't answer because the "97" in your handle is the year that you were born and you're not old enough to drink.

You'll notice that I DIDN'T call Pete out by name. I made a general statement.

It's simple, Marines don't turn a blind eye to bullying. It goes against my grain. Many voices are stronger than just one when dealing with a neighborhood bully or an oppressive tyrant.

I'm gonna do you a favor and put an end to this now. Don't expect another reply from me on this post in response to your childishness.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts