Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's side door hinge is binding and requires a big pull to get it shut. It makes a big popping noise when it finally closes. I've had the car for a month and it's done it ever since I bought the car. I've been focusing on getting the engine tuned and a leak fixed which I've accomplished. This is my next effort.

I took left and right photos and you can see the difference in the springs. Is this the incorrect spring on the driver side or something else? It looks like the spring can hardly compress to allow the cam to move.

If it's a spring replacement, does the door have to come off? I saw another thread with a spring compressor tool - not sure if that will get me there.

As always, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
Looks more like your "stop" has a "hook" on it where it meets the roller and both rollers look stuck. The spring DOES look wrong, too. I'd probably get a couple repro lower hinges... I put one on my '66 driver's door and it was a decent piece. You CAN rebuild the hinges but you have to be careful pulling the pin retaining the roller as the hole is blind and the pin is easily broken. Looks like they could use a few minutes with the bead blaster as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The operation of the passenger door (img 1848) is smoot and there are no issues with it. The stops appear to be the same but I'll go look at the car to confirm. This leads me to believe it's the spring, but when I look at replacements they appear to be the same with ~10 rolls vs ~6 on the passenger door.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Before you start taking anything apart try lubricating it first and see if it's just dry.

The hinge and that drum looking piece on the car side that the notches hook too have to be able to rotate. Try putting some oil or something on them. Adding some grease on the edge of the notches helps too.

Start with the simple, easy stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before you start taking anything apart try lubricating it first and see if it's just dry.

The hinge and that drum looking piece on the car side that the notches hook too have to be able to rotate. Try putting some oil or something on them. Adding some grease on the edge of the notches helps too.

Start with the simple, easy stuff.
You're the man! I lubed it and it glides like a wheel! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
Is the roller on the pin turning? If you oil the arm, you'll be OK in the short run, but if the roller isn't turning, it'll go back to its old ways quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts